Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Old May 26th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default What do teenage boys typically wear in the dining room?

Obviously, clothes. However, I guess I was wondering if khaki cargo shorts and a polo are ok.

06-12-2010 Carnival Liberty
03-24-2012 Carnival Freedom
03-22-2014 Carnival Liberty

Old May 26th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

My teen boy would not have agreed to go to the MDR so good luck...but I would think a nice polo and kahki's or navy blue pants are ok...if you can get him to wear it! But I would have not allowed him to wear shorts in the MDR...but I am a very formal person and you may not be.

My Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to the Bahamas on 04/12/2015 aboard the Carnival Magic! Visit Carnival.com to see all Bahamas cruises.

The Whale Tale Club's Unofficial Official Vodka Taster

Previous Cruises:

February 2003 - Carnival Fantasy - Freeport & Nassau, Bahama's
February 2009 - Carnival Ecstasy - Cozumel & Progresso, Mexico
September 2010 - Carnival Liberty - Half Moon Cay, Bahama's; St. Thomas, USVI; San Juan, PR ; & Grand Turk Island, Turks & Cacios.
February 2011 - Carnival Ecstasy - Was to have been to Cozumel & Progresso, Mexico...however due to Galveston fog turned to a 3 day to nowhere....
October 2011 Carnival Triumph -Progresso & Cozumel Mexico
April 2013 - Carnival Magic - Montego Bay, Jamaica; Grand Cayman Island & Cozumel, Mexico
April 2014 - Carnival Magic - Roatan, Honduras; Belize City, Belize & Cozumel, Mexico
August 2014 - Carnival Triumph - Progreso & Cozumel, Mexico

Last edited by Raven Days; May 26th, 2010 at 06:33 PM.

Cool Cruiser

Well, seeing as I'm a teenage boy, I wore a formal shirt and long black pants every night on my Carnival cruise (even though there was only one Formal night). I don't know if resort wear is allowed in dining rooms, but I could be wrong.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHALE TAIL
Unofficial VP of Dining Room Taste Testing

Carnival Sensation - March 4 2010
Carnival Destiny - October 29 2012

Cool Cruiser

Dress slacks, khaki pants (not shorts), a suit...... it's a good opportunity for them to dress like gentlemen. And a napkin on their knee!

Old May 26th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have twin teenaged boys and they have sailed on 5 cruises. They have worn everything from tuxes on formal nights to jeans and a collared shirt on non-formal nights. Shorts are not acceptable IMHO. Hope that helps.

7 cruises taken, many more to come!

Last edited by GayleR; May 26th, 2010 at 06:37 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeafl View Post
Obviously, clothes. However, I guess I was wondering if khaki cargo shorts and a polo are ok.

Were were on the Carnival Victory in March and my 13 year old son wore khaki shorts and a polo, except on the formal/elegant night wore black pants and a white lLong sleeve button down shirt. This was just fine. If he would have had to wear the long pants every night, we wouldn't have been going to the main dining room - same goes for my husband.....

Old May 26th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Last year my 18 year old son wore nice golf shorts and a polo, or nice jeans (no holes,dark denim)or khaki slacks and a polo or a button down shirt. It would depend on the condition of the cargo shorts if I would let my son wear them in the MDR - some of them are pretty ratty looking, even when new. On elegant nights, he wore slacks and a dress shirt with a tie.

Carnival Triumph August 2014
Carnival Magic September 2013, my Platinum cruise
Carnival Triumph August 2013
Carnival Magic September 2012
Carnival Triumph April 2012
Carnival Conquest September 2011
Carnival Triumph September 2010
Carnival Conquest October 2009
Carnival Conquest March 2009
Carnival Conquest March 2003
Carnival Celebration November1989

Old May 26th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Days View Post
My teen boy would not have agreed to go to the MDR so good luck...but I would think a nice polo and kahki's or navy blue pants are ok...if you can get him to wear it! But I would have not allowed him to wear shorts in the MDR...but I am a very formal person and you may not be.
That would be fine from what I have seen.
I do think they would prefer button up shirts on Elegant night
but I really doubt anything would even be said.
Jackets and ties are not even required on Elegant night.
Shorts are acceptible on non elegant nights.

From Carnival FAQ's
Is there a dress code for the dining room?
Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido restaurants.
Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).
Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.
Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.
http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Din...uirements.aspx
Carnival Triumph 1/23/10 New Orleans
Carnival Fantasy 3/21/09 New Orleans

MemphisConchead@aol.com

Old May 26th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have a 15 year old boy who has been cruising since he was 9. We've never done shorts for dinner in the MDR. For non-formal nights, he usually wears dress pants, khakis or colored jeans (royal blue, white, or black...they really don't look like jeans, although they are colored denim) with a collared shirt (either polo style or button down). For formal nights, he wears black dress pants, shirt, tie and jacket.

P. Crum

Carnival Liberty, 11/17/12
HAL Ryndam, 3/25/12
Carnival Glory, 3/27/11, Review with Photos
Carnival Liberty, 11/20/10 (Thanksgiving cruise), Review with Photos and Chef's Table
Carnival Inspiration, 7/31/10, Review in progress, will post soon
Carnival Freedom, 6/13/10, Review with Photos
Emerald Princess, 3/28/10, Review with Photos
NCL Star 7/09
Carnival Glory 6/09
Carnival Miracle 3/09
Carnival Triumph 11/08 (Thanksgiving cruise)
Carnival Sensation 6/08
HAL Veendam 3/07
Disney Wonder 6/06
Big Red Boat, 3 times in early 90s
Carnival Carnivale, 8/89

Last edited by pcrum; May 26th, 2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: clarification

Old May 26th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

i'm so tired of people saying "shorts are not acceptable" in the MDR,
THEY ARE... if they are dress shorts, and they can be worn on non-formal nights... look at the Carnival dress code... it just get to me how people freak out over this subject...

OP... dress shorts and a polo shirt are fine... I wear them to every meal except "dress-up night "

Last edited by Green Boy; May 26th, 2010 at 06:43 PM.

Old May 26th, 2010, 06:50 PM
5,000+ Club

Shorts aren't acceptable in the MDR for dinner. Neither are ball-caps and T-shirts.

Old May 26th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Boy View Post
i'm so tired of people saying "shorts are not acceptable" in the MDR,
THEY ARE... if they are dress shorts, and they can be worn on non-formal nights... look at the Carnival dress code... it just get to me how people freak out over this subject...

OP... dress shorts and a polo shirt are fine... I wear them to every meal except "dress-up night "
I dont think anyone is freaking out...we are just giving our oponion (since the OP asked) and I just dont feel that shorts are approriate in that setting...but again, I am a very formal person when it comes to stuff like this and what I do may or may not be what someone else does. We all have our own idea of what we feel is acceptable in the MDR. I wouldnt have let my kid dress like that in a nice resturant so I sure wouldnt let him dress that way in the MDR...but my "kid" is now 22 and dresses the way he likes!

My Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to the Bahamas on 04/12/2015 aboard the Carnival Magic! Visit Carnival.com to see all Bahamas cruises.

The Whale Tale Club's Unofficial Official Vodka Taster

Previous Cruises:

February 2003 - Carnival Fantasy - Freeport & Nassau, Bahama's
February 2009 - Carnival Ecstasy - Cozumel & Progresso, Mexico
September 2010 - Carnival Liberty - Half Moon Cay, Bahama's; St. Thomas, USVI; San Juan, PR ; & Grand Turk Island, Turks & Cacios.
February 2011 - Carnival Ecstasy - Was to have been to Cozumel & Progresso, Mexico...however due to Galveston fog turned to a 3 day to nowhere....
October 2011 Carnival Triumph -Progresso & Cozumel Mexico
April 2013 - Carnival Magic - Montego Bay, Jamaica; Grand Cayman Island & Cozumel, Mexico
April 2014 - Carnival Magic - Roatan, Honduras; Belize City, Belize & Cozumel, Mexico
August 2014 - Carnival Triumph - Progreso & Cozumel, Mexico

Old May 26th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

My son and I may be the most casual people in the world. Except when we are not. While my little guy is not quite a teenager yet, he looks like one.

I use the MDR to help him learn manners. On formal nights, I expect him to wear a suit, as I do, too. On casual nights, a sharp shirt and crisp khaki or blue pants.

On the other hand, if I am not sitting with them, I couldn't care less what others wear.

Old May 26th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Are they looking to attract the opposite sex?

Nice khakis and a golf shirt. They can also wear dress shorts, but they may be too old for that.

Old May 26th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

luddite,
what makes you think dress shorts are not allowed in
the MDR ? it's posted right on the Carnival site.

I did not mean ya'll were freaking out over this topic, but I have read soooo many threads about this same subject and it's always the same... some say dress up all the time, some say don't... it's up to each person how they dress for the MDR.. I will be able to eat my food no matter how anyone is dressed.

and as for me.. I have "great" legs and will be showing them off LOL

Old May 26th, 2010, 07:13 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise0310 View Post
Were were on the Carnival Victory in March and my 13 year old son wore khaki shorts and a polo, except on the formal/elegant night wore black pants and a white lLong sleeve button down shirt. This was just fine. If he would have had to wear the long pants every night, we wouldn't have been going to the main dining room - same goes for my husband.....
Same for us. Khaki shorts and polo shirts are totally acceptable, within rules and what the majority of boys will wear on non-cruise elegant nights. Cruise elegant night my son wore long black dress pants and button down shirt as well.

Ruby Princess 3/2014 - 5 Night Western -FLL, Cozumel & Grand Cayman-Balcony-Adults only
Norwegian Jewel 10/2013 - 7 Night Western -New Orleans, Cozumel, Belize City, Roatan & Costa Maya-Balcony-Adults only...25th Anniversary
Carnival Freedom 08/2013 - 6 Night Western -FLL, Key West, Grand Cayman & Jamaica-2 Connecting Balconies-Family + 1 BFF
Norwegian Epic 12/2011 - 7 Night Eastern-Miami, St. Martin, St. Thomas & Nassau-2 Insides-Family
Carnival Glory 07/2011 - 5 Night Canada-Manhattan, Halifax & Saint John-1 Balcony & 1 Inside-Family
Carnival Destiny 11/2010 -4 Night Western-Miami, Key West & Cozumel-2 Insides-Family
Carnival Glory 07/2010 - 5 Night Canada-CANCELLED DUE TO DEATH IN THE FAMILY DAY BEFORE CRUISE-Insurance Reimbursed
Carnival Freedom 7/2009-8 Night Eastern-FLL, San Juan, St. Thomas, Tortola, Antigua & Nassau-1 Inside-Family
Norwegian Jewel 11/2007-5 Night Western-Miami, Cozumel & Grand Cayman-1 Inside-Family
Carnival Elation 12/2006-5 Night Eastern-Port Canaveral, Nassau, Half Moon Cay & Grand Turk-1 Oceanview-Family
Carnival Inspiration 11/2005-5 Night Western-Tampa, Cozumel & Progresso-2 Insides & 1 Porthole-Family + Extended Family
Disney Magic 6/2004-7 Night Eastern-Port Canaveral, St. Thomas, St. Martin & Castaway Cay-2 Connecting Oceanviews-Family + Friends (Family of 4)
Disney Wonder 11/2001-3 Night Bahamas-Port Canaveral, Nassau & Castaway Cay+4 Night Disney World- 2 Connecting Insides-Family + Friends (Family of 4)

Old May 26th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdler View Post
On the other hand, if I am not sitting with them, I couldn't care less what others wear.

Well said! I don't know why it bother's people how others are dressed in the MDR. It doesn't effect my meal or my family in the slightest!

Enjoy the cruise...

July 2014 Carnival Freedom Review & Pictures
Feburary 2014 Carnival Fascination
July 2013 Norwegian Dawn - Bermuda in Owners Suite!
June 2013 Carnival Glory (Canada Cruise)
July 2012 Carnival Pride Review & Pictures
July 2011 Carnival Valor Review & Pictures
July 2010 Carnival Fascination
July 2009 Carnival Glory Review & Pictures
Aug 2008 RCCL Sovereign of the Seas

Old May 26th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeafl View Post

I hear teenager I think 13 years old or older, at that age I would hope they know better then to wear cargo shorts to dinner. Let them decide what is appropriate for dinner, you might be pleasantly surprised in what they think is good.

Cruise #2 is on its way!

Old May 26th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Star View Post
Well, seeing as I'm a teenage boy, I wore a formal shirt and long black pants every night on my Carnival cruise (even though there was only one Formal night). I don't know if resort wear is allowed in dining rooms, but I could be wrong.
THANK YOU for being a tasteful, conscientious young man!

Old May 26th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I don't care what other people wear but I would really like to know what "dress" shorts are??? We live in a city where a person can wear shorts anywhere to any restaurant even at dinner but we don't usually do that.
I have never heard of "dress" shorts until I read about them on this board.
+Venice,Florence,Rome,Barcelona,Paris,Naples, Prague on land