Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old March 7th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Cool Bringing prescription cough med onto plane? Problem???

Hi - Anyone has experience bringing a bottle of prescription cough medicine onto an airplane? It's obviously larger than 3.4 oz and you have to "alert security" that you have it. Wouldn't want them to say I'm sick and can't board. (It's just for a sinus drip that's causing a cough.)

Old March 7th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Make sure it is not more than the required amount, etc and it will be fine, that may mean decanting some into a smaller bottle, but that should be enough for a flight. Depending on which airport you are using you may also check to see if there is a chemist airside that sells suitable brand/type.

Mariner, Indy, Jewell and Vision at various times.

Old March 7th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Prescriptions are exempt from the 3-1-1 rule.

Majesty 1997
Enchantment 1999
Explorer 2002
Monarch 2003
Adventure 2007
Liberty 2010
Freedom 2012

[IMG]http://www.***********/tag/RCL/small/ARLRDBD/Family+cruise%21/1332054000.png[/IMG]

Old March 7th, 2010, 01:13 PM
5,000+ Club

You will be able to take it. Just have it in a ziploc bag and out of your carryon when you go through security. You are correct about having to declare it, just tell them as you get to the front of the line. Some will pick it up and examine it, others will just wave you through. Just make sure you keep it in the original bottle that has the prescription on it.

Have a great cruise.

Old March 7th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydnite View Post
Make sure it is not more than the required amount, etc and it will be fine, that may mean decanting some into a smaller bottle, but that should be enough for a flight. Depending on which airport you are using you may also check to see if there is a chemist airside that sells suitable brand/type.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyitsmema View Post
You will be able to take it. Just have it in a ziploc bag and out of your carryon when you go through security. You are correct about having to declare it, just tell them as you get to the front of the line. Some will pick it up and examine it, others will just wave you through. Just make sure you keep it in the original bottle that has the prescription on it.

Have a great cruise.
Yes, this is important. Do NOT decant it into a smaller bottle. It must be in the original container with the prescription label on it.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:21 PM
50,000+ Club

You can bring ANY size of medication.....it doesn't have to be the 3 oz rule. Do keep it in the prescription container, tho!

Old March 7th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Wink Thanks

Thanks so much for your answers. I know the TSA rules and all about 3-1-1, but I was just concerned that they'd see prescription cough medicine and tell me I couldn't fly. It will definitely be in the original prescription bottle...with my name on it. Thanks again.

Old March 7th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've brought my Tussonex in the original bottle with the RX label.

The really difficult thing are the tubes of ointment/cream, because the pharmacists won't put the labels on the tubes, so you either have to peel them off the box, or leave them in the box.
Canada/New England: Jewel 9/09
Eastern Caribbean: Independence 12/13
Western Caribbean: Splendour 1/07, Voyager 1/08, Voyager 12/09, Voyager 12/10, Mariner 1/12, Navigator 2/14
Hawaii: Sapphire 12/11
Panama Canal: Ryndam 12/99
Pacific Coastal: Century 9/2013
Transatlantic/Norwegian Fjords: Legend 4/14

Upcoming Cruises

Canada/New England, Hawaii, Alaska, Snowbird Migration+Eastern Caribbean, Australia/Transpacific

Last edited by knittinggirl; March 7th, 2010 at 01:36 PM.

Old March 7th, 2010, 01:53 PM
30,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittinggirl View Post
The really difficult thing are the tubes of ointment/cream, because the pharmacists won't put the labels on the tubes, so you either have to peel them off the box, or leave them in the box.

You should ask your pharmacist because my pharmacist does put labels on the actual tube in addition to the box.

3/02 Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas, 5/03 Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean, 1/05 Voyager of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 12/05 Rhapsody of the Seas Western Caribbean, 2/06 Brilliance of the Seas Partial Panama Canal(Live posts or photos), 3/06 Serenade of the Seas Southern Caribbean (Review or photos), 3/06 Monarch of the Seas Mexico, 2/07 Jewel of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Mustard of the Seas 1) (View photos), 1/08 Maui Trip (View photos), 5/08 Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska (trip report, photos, Compasses/Menus/Other Info, review, review with pictures), 5/09 Serenade of the Seas Alaska (View Photos), 11/09 Radiance of the Seas Mexico (View Photos), Jewel of the Seas WB TA 09/10 (Review, View Photos), 8/11 Peru & Machu Picchu (View Photos), 8/12 Colombia (View Photos), 10/12 Jewel of the Seas Canada/New England (View Photos), 2012 Christmas Markets Salzburg/Munich (View Photos), 4/13 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel (View Photos), 8/13 Ghana (View Photos-Part 1 & Part 2), 11/13 Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Review, View Photos), 1/14 Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean (View Photos)

Old March 7th, 2010, 02:14 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyR5 View Post
Thanks so much for your answers. I know the TSA rules and all about 3-1-1, but I was just concerned that they'd see prescription cough medicine and tell me I couldn't fly. It will definitely be in the original prescription bottle...with my name on it. Thanks again.
We fly with prescription cough medicine pretty much everytime we fly and have never had anyone make any comments about one of us being sick or not. My son always seems to have issues with his asthma towards the end of a vacation so we bring his cough medicine with us so we all get to sleep. Kind of hard to sleep when someone else in the room is coughing like a seal all night.

Old March 7th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyitsmema View Post
We fly with prescription cough medicine pretty much everytime we fly and have never had anyone make any comments about one of us being sick or not. My son always seems to have issues with his asthma towards the end of a vacation so we bring his cough medicine with us so we all get to sleep. Kind of hard to sleep when someone else in the room is coughing like a seal all night.
Those of us with asthma often get bronchitis, and Robitussin just doesn't work.
Canada/New England: Jewel 9/09
Eastern Caribbean: Independence 12/13
Western Caribbean: Splendour 1/07, Voyager 1/08, Voyager 12/09, Voyager 12/10, Mariner 1/12, Navigator 2/14
Hawaii: Sapphire 12/11
Panama Canal: Ryndam 12/99
Pacific Coastal: Century 9/2013
Transatlantic/Norwegian Fjords: Legend 4/14

Upcoming Cruises

Canada/New England, Hawaii, Alaska, Snowbird Migration+Eastern Caribbean, Australia/Transpacific

Old March 7th, 2010, 03:27 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittinggirl View Post
Those of us with asthma often get bronchitis, and Robitussin just doesn't work.
Many asthmatics have a cough whether they have bronchitis or not. My son and I are cough variant asthmatics. We don't outwardly wheeze as much as we cough. When something triggers my son, not only does he need his inhalers or nebulizer, he frequently needs a strong cough medicine. Robitussin isn't even a consideration.