Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Solo Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Solo Cruisers Do you leave your cares -- and everyone -- behind when you cruise?
Don't Miss Cruise Critic's Best Cruises for Solo Travelers and Cruise Welcome Mat for Solo Cruisers

Old February 15th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Opinion on going solo on Norwegian Jewel in May

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had gone on the Norwegian Jewel solo, from NYC to the Bahamas? I like the idea of the freestyle dining and I don't want to have my day revolving around a fixed dining time.

Also, I was wondering if people thought it might be worth an extra $500 for a balcony. The reason being, if I am solo and want to just relax, I would have the extra space.

I have a week off of vacation in May, and normally spend it in NYC seeing concerts/shows, but would like to do something different.

Old February 16th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardK View Post
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had gone on the Norwegian Jewel solo, from NYC to the Bahamas? I like the idea of the freestyle dining and I don't want to have my day revolving around a fixed dining time.

Also, I was wondering if people thought it might be worth an extra $500 for a balcony. The reason being, if I am solo and want to just relax, I would have the extra space.

I have a week off of vacation in May, and normally spend it in NYC seeing concerts/shows, but would like to do something different.
I haven't gone on Jewel (yet, that is), but have gone on quite a few solos. I love the NCL choice of freestyle dining simply because I do not like to be tied down to a particular time of when I should eat. Who knows what you did during the day and how ready you will be to go to the dining room, right?

As for the additional expense travelling solo and having a balcony, for me it is worth extra money to be able to have my own private area morning, noon or night where I can just chill out in peace. You are the one who has to decide how much you want to spend. How much would those concerts in NYC be for you? I am sure the expense would even itself out.

If you have the time and the $$ go for it and have a wonderful cruise.

Old February 16th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

I loved the Pearl and would go on the Jewel. I would go for the balcony if money wasn't a problem. Sounds like a wonderful trip!
Alaska 7/09 ~ NCL Pearl - with Trinity
Pacific Coast/Canada 5/09 ~ RC Mariner of the Seas - solo
Mexican Riveria 9/08 ~ RC Vision of the Seas w/Judy
Alaska 9/07 ~ HAL Nordamm - First solo
Caribbean 11/01 ~ HAL Westerdam - w/Mary

Last edited by JoKen1; February 16th, 2010 at 09:15 PM.

Old February 17th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have done 4 solo NCL cruises and enjoyed every minute. I don't bother with a balcony on European, port centric itineraries, since I only use the cabin to shower and crash. However, on warm weather, lots of days at sea itineraries, the balcony is a definite plus.

Old February 18th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default NCL solo

Did 42 days in 07 on Jewel, half as solo; 2 TAs plus Egypt. Loved the staff. I was treated like gold. It was fun to choose a different restaurant each night. We were on the floor with the reservation table. All menus inc. MDR were out at 8AM. You then made your nitely res. Liked Le Bistro and the Italian one best. Weather permitting you could dine outside at Italian. I see Jewel is relocating to NYC. I live across from MIA port and see her weekly sitting out in first berth. Will miss her. To me, would rather do more cruises than one pricey balcony.

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 18th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Balcony $$

Howard, Just read your balcony is $500 more! Currently you can do a great 7N on Jewel or Pearl for $449. Do an extra cruise.

Old February 19th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi, thanks for your replies. I am probably going to book sometime between now and April. - I was wondering could you tell me where you saw the 7N for $449- I assume there would still be a supplement which is fine.

On another note, I saw the 5 night Bermuda in April for $550 for 1 person- looks like a great deal, but my boss who goes on cruises said it is not warm then

Old February 22nd, 2010, 01:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Howard

NCL has a grat late book discount program. These are Miami based cruises. NYC ones (to me), do not feature as interesting ports. Looking at NCL.com site you can do Pearl or Jewel for $369/379. I would imagine closer to May NYC. pricing will be similar. These prices are for double bookings .NCL isnt very kind to single cabin occupants so expect to pay double by yourself, treat a buddy or offer to pay half of OPs tab.

Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

I did the Jewel solo and it was my favorite cruise so far. The staff is amazing and Freestyle is the way to go, at least for me. I hadn't had a balcony cabin until a recent Dawn cruise and now I am addicted. Nothing better! Enjoy your cruise!

Old February 25th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

I must be the only solo traveler who does not like NCL. I hate eating alone and NCL does not seat you with anyone even if you ask. Even when my husband was alive and we did NCL together, we still wanted to have table talk and that just didn't happen. If you are a "loner" and really want to be by yourself, go NCL; otherwise, I suggest another line.

Rosemary

Old March 7th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default NCL dinner

I love NCL, but not as a solo traveler. Why they don't sit you with other people, I don't know. I am going on a 9 nighter this month but have a dive buddy/cruise mate.
I won't go NCL solo unless I get a killer deal. I meet lots of people, but I like to do what I want when I want and if I see someone that is going to dinner then that would be o.k., but so far I haven't, so I go with RCCI as they sit you at a large table.
terri

Old March 9th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have done two Trans-Atlantic cruises on the Jewel solo and loved every minute of it. I have also spent a lot of time on the Pearl which is a newer ship but the Jewel is still my favorite.
NCL Majesty - April 2004 - 15 Day Colonial America - Repo
NCL Spirit - Dec 2004 - 9 Day Exotic Caribbean
NCL Dream - May 2005 - 11 Day Alaska
NCL Jewel - Dec 2005 - 7 Day Western Caribbean
NCL Jewell - Apr 2006 - 14 Day Transatlantic
RCL Brilliance - Dec 2006 - 10 Day Panama
NCL Jewell - Apr 2007 - 15 Day Transatlantic
RCL Liberty Of The Seas - Sept 2007 - Eastern Caribbean
NCL Majesty - Jan 2007 - 7 Day Western Caribbean
NCL Dawn - April 2008 - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean
NCL Dawn - Nov 2008 - 13 Day Repo
NCL Pearl - May 10, 2009 Alaska & NCL Pearl - May 17, 2009 Alaska - B2B
NCL Pearl - Sept 26, 2009 - 14 Day Panamal Canal
NCL Spirit - October 23, 2010 - 15 Day Repo
NCL Epic - April, 23, 2011 - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean
NCL Sun - November 26, 2011 - 7 Day Western Caribbean
NCL Pearl –January 2, 2015 -8 Day Eastern Caribbean
NCL Epic – January 11, 2015 - 7 Day Western Caribbean

Old March 11th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

I did a solo out of NYC on Dawn and when I went to dinner, they asked if I wanted to join others or sit by myself on a few occassions in the main dining room. In the restaurants for dinner, I kept being seated at a large table by myself after the maitre de asked if I minded if others could join me (of course I said yes, why not!) By the end of a 6 night cruise - I had people who would stop me during the day and ask what restaurant I was dining at and could they join me, solos and couples. They described it as the "fun" table!
RCCL Enchantment 2/04

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting #$(@&*$ What a ride!