Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old January 19th, 2010, 02:15 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Viking or Grand Circle??

Can someone compare these two lines for me? I've been looking at both, and each has an itinerary I like, but I can't get a feel from the web sites about the differences.

Anybody cruised with both?

Thanks.

December 2013 RCCL Freedom of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean, March 2013, Hurtigruten Polarlys Norwegian Coastal Voyage; November 2012, RCCL Brilliance of the Seas - Repositioning from NJ to San Juan;
May 2011, Carnival Fantasy – Bahamas; January 2011, Celebrity Eclipse – Eastern Caribbean; August 2008, RCCL Radiance of the Seas – Alaska; April 2008, Louis Cruise Lines’ Cristal – Eastern Mediterranean;
January 2008 – HAL’s Westerdam – Southern Caribbean; October 2007, Celebrity Galaxy – Eastern Mediterranean and Black Sea; November 2006, RCCL Brilliance of the Seas – Transatlantic;
August 2006, Norwegian Dawn – Bermuda and Bahamas; November 2005, Norwegian Majesty – Western Caribbean;
February 1998, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises’ Fantome (RIP) – Eastern Caribbean Solar Eclipse Cruise;
January 1995, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises’ Flying Cloud – British Virgin Islands

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

Old January 19th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have been on Viking and am going on GC in March. I did notice that GC has a lot of optionals, Viking only had a couple. Not sure what the price difference is if everything is compared equally.

Old January 19th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We are going on GCT in March also - first river cruise - but the prices seemed pretty reasonable to me - much less than Viking. But we are not using their air and haven't decided yet on which optionals we will do - so that is extra $$.

H20 - which cruise are you on. We are doing Great Rivers of Europe - March 13th.

LAST FEW CRUISES:
Ocean Princess - West Africa 30 days May 2014
Celebrity Millennium - Gems of Asia January 2014
Emerald Princess - New England/Canada Oct 2013
Oasis of the Seas...Caribbean - June 2013
Crown Princess. TA/Canary Island 28 Days April 2013
Carnival Inspiration Nov 2012
Golden Princess. Hawaii RT LA Sept 2012
GCT -Black Sea - June 2012
GCT -China & Yangze River - April 2012
Pacific Princess -Amazon River - 14 days - Dec 2011
Crown Princess - 17 days TA Aug 2011
Carnival Triumph - 4 days Cozumel/New Or. July 2011
Star Princess 29 Day - Santiago - FLL Feb-March 2011
Clelia II - 14 days - Antarctica - Feb 2011
Star Princess 10 Day - Baltic - July 2010
GCT- Great Rivers of Europe - March 2010
Tahitian Princess - 107 Day World Cruise - Jan 2009

TOTAL CRUISES: 47 AND COUNTING.....

Princess 'Elite' Status

Old January 19th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

We're taking our third Viking cruise this spring. Obviously enjoyed the first two. No experience with any othe river cruise line.

Don
2008 NCL Jade, Barcelona to Istanbul
2007 Viking Sun, (River cruise), Antwerp to Basel
2006 NCL Sun, Western Caribbean
2005 Viking Neptune (River cruise), Budapest to Amsterdam
2004 NCL Dream, Northern Capitals
2003 NCL Star, Hawaii
2002 NCL Dawn, Eastern Caribbean
2000 RCL Voyager(?) Mediterranean
1997 Celebrity Galaxy, Alaska
1994 Celebrity Horizon, Caribbean

Old January 20th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonfromNC View Post
We're taking our third Viking cruise this spring. Obviously enjoyed the first two. No experience with any othe river cruise line.

Don
For what it's worth, two years ago we were on a Viking cruise with a woman who had been on both. She preferred the Viking experience but was not loathe to return to GCT.

One difference is that GCT essentially works within the USA market and Viking has cruisers from Canada, UK, etc.

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillslife View Post

H20 - which cruise are you on. We are doing Great Rivers of Europe - March 13th.

We are going on March 20th - Romance of the Rhine and Mosel.

Sharon

SAILED: Viking, Portraits of Southern France. 2006
SAILED: Uniworld, Castles Along the Rhine, 2007
SAILED: Gate 1, Thanksgiving Cruise, 2007
SAILED: AMA Waterways, Portugal on the Douro, 2008
SAILED: Grand Circle: Romance of the Rhine and Mosel, 2010
SAILED
: Viking Emerald, China's Cultural Delights. 3/28/2011
SAILED: Grand Circle: Old World Prague and the Blue Danube. September 7, 2011. MS River Adagio
SAILED: Viking Spirit, Paris to Normandy. December 11, 2011.
SAILED: Grand Circle's Essence of the Elbe: Hamburg to Prague on the M/S River Allegro on May 27 to June 11, 2012
SAILED: Grand Circle Russia Revealed with pretrip to Helsinki and Tallinn on August 18, 2012. St. Petersburg to Moscow.
SAILED: Viking Sun, Treasures of the Rhine. Nov 11, 2012.
SAILED: AMACerto, Istanbul to Budapest. May 30, 2013.
SAILED: Uniworld River Queen, Classic Christmas Markets, Nuremberg to Frankfurt. Dec 5, 2013.
SAILED: Vantage Travel, Croatian Odyssey & Venice with Lake Bled, Slovenia pretrip. M/Y Harmony G __________________________________________

Grand Circle: Burma & the Irrawaddy River with Phnom Penh and Angkor Wat pretrip. 11/25 to 12/16 2014. Ship: RV Paukan

Grand Circle: Spain's Northern Coast & the Bay of Biscay with a pretrip to Maidera. 4/30/2015 to 5/21/2015. Ship: Corinthian

Old January 20th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillslife View Post
We are going on GCT in March also - first river cruise - but the prices seemed pretty reasonable to me - much less than Viking. But we are not using their air and haven't decided yet on which optionals we will do - so that is extra $$.

We're booked for Great Rivers of Europe in July. Please post a review when you get back. I'm really interested in whatever tips you might pick up.

That being said (sorry to hijack the thread), we haven't done anything with Viking so our only real comparison is by looking at brochures. We went with Grand Circle to China--mostly because the the itinerary for that trip. It was really wonderful.

Old January 20th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Take a look at Vantage Travel

Take a look at Vantage Travel & their European cruises. Almost the excursions are included in the price.

Old January 20th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Have to agree with Joybug - we've been on three Vantage trips and taking our 4th this coming August. Check out what's included in all companies mentioned and then check Vantage. Some of the other companies have a lot of optional tours and charge extra. Willard

Old January 20th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

My experience shows that even with adding all the optional tours in GCT still has the best price with included airfare when comparing to other companies with similar itineraries. Their ships may not be as new as AMA or Avalon but thier condition is topnotch. I've traveled with both GCT and AMA and will not return to AMA unles they give me a smoking deal.

Old January 21st, 2010, 11:16 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Yeah - love to hear those great reviews for GCT. Haven't done the trip yet - that comes up in March - but nice to hear great compliments.

I will write a review for sure when we return....

LAST FEW CRUISES:
Ocean Princess - West Africa 30 days May 2014
Celebrity Millennium - Gems of Asia January 2014
Emerald Princess - New England/Canada Oct 2013
Oasis of the Seas...Caribbean - June 2013
Crown Princess. TA/Canary Island 28 Days April 2013
Carnival Inspiration Nov 2012
Golden Princess. Hawaii RT LA Sept 2012
GCT -Black Sea - June 2012
GCT -China & Yangze River - April 2012
Pacific Princess -Amazon River - 14 days - Dec 2011
Crown Princess - 17 days TA Aug 2011
Carnival Triumph - 4 days Cozumel/New Or. July 2011
Star Princess 29 Day - Santiago - FLL Feb-March 2011
Clelia II - 14 days - Antarctica - Feb 2011
Star Princess 10 Day - Baltic - July 2010
GCT- Great Rivers of Europe - March 2010
Tahitian Princess - 107 Day World Cruise - Jan 2009

TOTAL CRUISES: 47 AND COUNTING.....

Princess 'Elite' Status

Old January 21st, 2010, 11:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

My first "river" cruise was this year. We did the Danube Christmas markets with GCT,great cruise and we even thought about going on the identical cruise again this year,one problem though ! It was perfect this year and anything less would be a disappointment,it was around 32F-34F each day with huge snowflakes as we wandered thru the markets. Postcard perfect!!!
Anyway our boat the River Adagio was spotless,food to die for.
If the menu wasn't appealing you could always get Salmon or Chicken breast
Berthing might not be everyones "cup of tea",actually quite comfortable
Captain and crew were always highly visible and most of the time when you left the boat as a group the captain was there to "meet and greet"
After day 2 you were on a first name basis with your program director
I would not book a balcony on a winter cruise
Pretty much all river cruises stop in the same cities,tie up in same areas,and offer the same excursions(in Vienna at the concert we sat with people from 3 other cruise lines)

If you compare the money we saved going with GCT vs. some of the other lines it almost pays for another trip. Unlike ocean cruising to me the river cruises are about the "ports" and not the "journey".
JMHO
Allan

Old January 21st, 2010, 12:34 PM
5,000+ Club

Thanks to everyone. Still not sure what I'll decide as I'm looking at several options for next fall. I did look at the Vantage web site, but it was a bit pricier than the others.

RET P3 FE, I particularly enjoyed your comments. When you you on your cruise so that you had all that snow? In the 1990s DH and I went on two Caribbean cruises aboard the now defunct Windjammer Barefoot Cruises' ships. I loved the informality and being on first name basis with all the captain and crew and all the passengers.

December 2013 RCCL Freedom of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean, March 2013, Hurtigruten Polarlys Norwegian Coastal Voyage; November 2012, RCCL Brilliance of the Seas - Repositioning from NJ to San Juan;
May 2011, Carnival Fantasy – Bahamas; January 2011, Celebrity Eclipse – Eastern Caribbean; August 2008, RCCL Radiance of the Seas – Alaska; April 2008, Louis Cruise Lines’ Cristal – Eastern Mediterranean;
January 2008 – HAL’s Westerdam – Southern Caribbean; October 2007, Celebrity Galaxy – Eastern Mediterranean and Black Sea; November 2006, RCCL Brilliance of the Seas – Transatlantic;
August 2006, Norwegian Dawn – Bermuda and Bahamas; November 2005, Norwegian Majesty – Western Caribbean;
February 1998, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises’ Fantome (RIP) – Eastern Caribbean Solar Eclipse Cruise;
January 1995, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises’ Flying Cloud – British Virgin Islands

Last edited by ILoveScotland; January 21st, 2010 at 12:37 PM.

Old January 21st, 2010, 02:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveScotland View Post
Thanks to everyone. Still not sure what I'll decide as I'm looking at several options for next fall. I did look at the Vantage web site, but it was a bit pricier than the others.

RET P3 FE, I particularly enjoyed your comments. When you you on your cruise so that you had all that snow? In the 1990s DH and I went on two Caribbean cruises aboard the now defunct Windjammer Barefoot Cruises' ships. I loved the informality and being on first name basis with all the captain and crew and all the passengers.
Oh now those were a riot!! We sailed three times with Windjammer. No experience comparable IMO. What a shame we don't have the chance anymore.

Old January 21st, 2010, 03:14 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolechick View Post
Oh now those were a riot!! We sailed three times with Windjammer. No experience comparable IMO. What a shame we don't have the chance anymore.
Amen to that! Two years ago I was on HAL's Westerdam in Aruba, and there was the Polynesia looking all forlorn. We sailed on the Flying Cloud and the Fantome (in February 1998 before she went down in October 1998), but seeing the Polynesia looking as she did just made me very sad. Those cruises weren't for everyone, but I loved them.

Old January 21st, 2010, 04:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Amen to that! Two years ago I was on HAL's Westerdam in Aruba, and there was the Polynesia looking all forlorn. We sailed on the Flying Cloud and the Fantome (in February 1998 before she went down in October 1998), but seeing the Polynesia looking as she did just made me very sad. Those cruises weren't for everyone, but I loved them.
Our travel agent still can't believe we sailed them three times. I can't make her understand what a unique experience it was. We sailed the Polynesia, Flying Cloud and Yankee Clipper. We were watching the news while vacationing in Key West when the Fantome went missing. So sad. I think that was the beginning of the end for the company.

And back on topic, we are currently researching river cruise companies in Europe too. Hoping to sail this Fall.

Old January 21st, 2010, 05:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Dec 10-19
It snowed on day 2 as we were entering the Christmas market in Nurnberg(huge market).Day 3 at night it snowed in Regensberg,,snow on the ground in Melk.From Linz to Salzburg it snowed the whole bus trip(1.5 hrs) and there was snow on the ground in Vienna

Hindsight !! I'd do a post trip extension in Vienna

Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well...... Hi there Beth,

I haven't been on CC in ages but on my first venture back who do I encounter but that gal with her heart in Scotland. We were on the TA together on Brilliance. We are having the same problem (such a problem!) picking our next cruise. We're thinking of a river cruise in the south of France. We were on GCT's Rhine and Mosel River cruise and it was wonderful but we are also looking into Viking. I would highly recommend GCT they really do a good job but would like to try something different. Good luck in your future travels. mems

Old January 30th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Poolechick and ILoveScotland:

We did 4 Mandalay cruises and were really hoping to do a 5th. Unfortunately,that didn't happen. I don't think people can appreciate how special a Windjammer cruise was unless they experienced one. Because WJ was no more, our last cruise was on the Star Clipper from Athens to Venice. We had a good time but she wasn't the Mandalay. Missed hearing Amazing Grace everytime the sails were raised, and the totally casual atmosphere. But we have a lot of fond memories and pictures from our WJ days.