Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cruise Fashions & Beauty

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Fashions & Beauty
Deck yourself out for your next cruise! What clothes should you bring, and what should stay at home. Offer up packing tips, and savvy shopping info, too

Old January 16th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Windy decks?

I have heard a lot about the "windiness" of the QM2 decks. Does that preclude wearing a full(ish) knee length skirt when walking around the said decks?
In the interests of both decency and consideration for the aesthetic sensibilities of the other passengers, I would prefer not to have my skirts blown up to my waist. I would also prefer not to have my nice stroll hobbled by needing to hold my skirt down.
I can confine myself to trousers and straight(ish) ankle-length skirts if necessary, but I am going in August and would normally bring a couple of knee length skirts to cope with the heat at my destinations (NYC and Austin).
For me planning what clothing to take is part of the excitement and anticipation of travel. I travel solo and light so it takes careful planning. (Or so I tell myself) It also makes a trip over 7 months away real.
I posted some of this on the Cunard board as well, but I thought I would also ask the fashion experts here.

Last edited by leagle; January 16th, 2010 at 12:51 PM.

Old January 16th, 2010, 01:58 PM
50,000+ Club

If the ship is moving, it will be windy on ANY ship's deck! I wouldn't want to be messing with a full skirt and the wind! A straight skirt will do better in wind than one that acts like a "sail"! The wind will be worse near the railing, than in the mid-part of the deck.

Old January 16th, 2010, 05:28 PM
10,000+ Club

Soooooooo, you don't want to look like this?
or this?
In that case, full skirts are not your friend.

Old January 17th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy Thank you cb at sea and Iheartbda

Oh dear!
Thank you for your very helpful answers although, of course, they aren't the answers I wanted.
Iheart bda, yes, of course I would like to look like that, but my days of legs like that are long gone....
So, no full skirt will be worn on deck.
I thank you and I'm am certain my fellow crossers would thank you if they knew what sights you had saved them from.

Old January 17th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by leagle View Post
Oh dear!
Thank you for your very helpful answers although, of course, they aren't the answers I wanted.
Iheart bda, yes, of course I would like to look like that, but my days of legs like that are long gone....
So, no full skirt will be worn on deck.
I thank you and I'm am certain my fellow crossers would thank you if they knew what sights you had saved them from.
I was on a ship in December and had a cute little jersey dress on for dinner. We went up on deck to walk around and I had to tuck the dress between my legs. Not so cute! We took a picture with my hair flying and the dress between my legs. It was fine inside, but not outdoors. It really was something I hadn't even thought about.
Brilliance
Enchantment
Grand Princess

Old January 17th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

I read a funny review of the QM2 that mentioned the number of artificially preserved women of a certain social class onboard. Seems neither their hair nor their faces moved in the wind. Wonder if their clothing moved?

Looking forward to checking it out later this year.
RiverBarge, Cumberland River (2 times, the first was and still is the best vacation ever); American Queen, Mississippi River; RCCL Enchantment of the Seas, Quebec City to FLL; Carnival Victory, NE/Canada (3 times); NCL Crown , Bermuda; NCL Spirit, NE/Canada (best cruise vacation so far); Carnival Triumph, NE/Canada; Cunard QM2 Westbound crossing; NCL Jewel, NE/Canada; RCI Enchantment OTS, NE/Canada