Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cruise Fashions & Beauty

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Fashions & Beauty
Deck yourself out for your next cruise! What clothes should you bring, and what should stay at home. Offer up packing tips, and savvy shopping info, too

Old March 12th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

[quote=CruiseKnit;27484715]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KandCsailing View Post
I do mine by daytime and evenings for each day, and I colour some items to help me figure out how to repeat them on the cruise.
I have a separate list also that lists the essentials, and then I organize the clothing in this one.

This is terrific. A color-coded chart. Can't wait to try this for my upcoming cruise. Thanks for sharing.
Would you please email a copy to paul.katz1@verizon.net.
Thanks,

Paul
10 Jan NCL Sun S.A. & 10-Sept-Crn Princess TA & 10 Oct USS Taylor Reunion
11 Jan HAL Caribbean btb & 11 Jan HAL Caribbean btb & 11 Apr 2-9 Caribbean btb & 11 Apr 9-16 Caribbean btb & 11 Apr 16-23 Caribbean btb & 11 Sept 9/20-10/5 NCL Sun TA 8063
12 Jan Crown btb & 12 Feb Crown btb & 12 10/20-11/3 Grand Princess Canary Isle & 12 11/3-11/17 Grand Princess TA
13 Jan Noordam // Aug Maasdam Boston to Canada RT // Ryndam Athens to Rome // Rome-Barc // Barc 13 Tampa TA
14 Feb-Mar Statendam Polynesia // Aug-Sept Boston-Canada RT // Sept. Taylor Reunion//Nov-Dec Amazon Prinsendam
15 Feb-March Fll-LA RT Panama Canal//July-Voyage of Vikings

email - paulkatz8 at gmail dot com
West End Boston

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 12th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelin' Nauti' View Post
I Love your chart Kerri!
I just made my own for my up and coming Celebrity Summit Cruise.
Thanks, fancy seeing you here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul8 View Post
.Would you please email a copy to paul.katz1@verizon.net.
Done.
I'm working on my one for our upcoming Alaska cruise now.

Carnival Freedom B2B (southern/8; western/6) - Aug. 24 & Sept. 1, 2013
RCCL Freedom of the Seas (eastern/7) - September 23,2012
Carnival Spirit (Alaska/7) - June 28, 2011......Carnival Legend (western/7) - September 5, 2010
Norwegian Dawn (east coast/canada/7) - September 6, 2009
2nd International F2F - Niagara Falls, Aug 09
Carnival Liberty (eastern/7) - September 20, 2008 ...... Carnival Liberty (western/6) - September 23, 2007
Carnival Glory (western/7) - September 9, 2006 ...... Carnival Glory (eastern/7) - September 17, 2005 Honeymoon
PORTS: St. Thomas (3), St. Martin (2), CocoaCay, Nassau (2), Key West (2), Belize (2), Half Moon Cay, Cozumel (2), Costa Maya, Ocho Rios (2), Grand Cayman (3), San Juan, Port Canaveral (2), Fort Lauderdale, Miami, New York, Halifax, Saint John, Bar Harbor, Boston (2), Newport, Tampa, Roatan, Vancouver, Seattle, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan & Tracy Arm Fjord, Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk, La Romana.

Last edited by KandCsailing; March 12th, 2011 at 09:05 PM.

Old March 12th, 2011, 11:36 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by KandCsailing View Post
Thanks, fancy seeing you here!
I do floataway and pay a visit to other threads.

Old March 14th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Paul, I sent you the attachment on my kandcsailing@gmail account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelin' Nauti' View Post
I do floataway and pay a visit to other threads.
Most my posts are in floataway and don't coun't. Other than that I'm in Carnival, NCL, fashion or the ports.

At least with our next cruise being Alaska I don't have to worry about how to pack my new snorkel set.
Ideally I would like to take even less this trip than in the past since we may have the dreaded extra bag fees. I'd like to lose the lightweight suit bag that usually goes with DH's suit, shirts and my formal wear and just take our two medium bags with one carry-on (doesn't go on most cruises) and my laptop tote, but I don't know if DH will go for that.

Carnival Freedom B2B (southern/8; western/6) - Aug. 24 & Sept. 1, 2013
RCCL Freedom of the Seas (eastern/7) - September 23,2012
Carnival Spirit (Alaska/7) - June 28, 2011......Carnival Legend (western/7) - September 5, 2010
Norwegian Dawn (east coast/canada/7) - September 6, 2009
2nd International F2F - Niagara Falls, Aug 09
Carnival Liberty (eastern/7) - September 20, 2008 ...... Carnival Liberty (western/6) - September 23, 2007
Carnival Glory (western/7) - September 9, 2006 ...... Carnival Glory (eastern/7) - September 17, 2005 Honeymoon
PORTS: St. Thomas (3), St. Martin (2), CocoaCay, Nassau (2), Key West (2), Belize (2), Half Moon Cay, Cozumel (2), Costa Maya, Ocho Rios (2), Grand Cayman (3), San Juan, Port Canaveral (2), Fort Lauderdale, Miami, New York, Halifax, Saint John, Bar Harbor, Boston (2), Newport, Tampa, Roatan, Vancouver, Seattle, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan & Tracy Arm Fjord, Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk, La Romana.

Old August 17th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

so awesome! thanks for the idea!!!

RCCL Allure of the Seas 4/15/12 (takin my inlaws on their 1st cruise in 20 years!)
RCCL Allure of the Seas 9/25/11 Western (a cruise for just the 2 of us!)
NCL Epic 12/25/10 (Christmas & New Years away from family!)
RCCL Adventure of the Seas 3/2/08 (1st time in the Southern Caribbean)
Caribbean Princess 2/25/06 (We tried it again!)
Caribbean Princess 9/25/04 (1st Anniversary ~ Delayed by 2 days due to Hurricane Jeanne)
RCCL Navigator of the Seas BACK-TO-BACK! 5/31/03 & 6/7/03 (Honeymoon - No Hurricane, Whew!)
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 11/4/01 (Got Engaged! ~ Hurricane Michelle)
RCCL Nordic Prince - Sometime in the mid 80's

A Bad Day of Cruising is Better than a Good Day at Work!

Old August 17th, 2011, 05:01 PM
5,000+ Club

I also use the spreadsheet with the colour blocks (latched onto the idea from here a few years ago).
The only problem I found happened when I changed my mind re what to wear....and aren't ladies well known for that.

2014 Emerald Princess:Mediterranean Medley
2014 Emerald Princess: Baltic Heritage
2013 Diamond Princess: Sydney - Beijing

2012 Diamond Princess: Bangkok - Sydney
2012 Dawn Princess: Hawaii & Tahiti
2011 Star Princess: South America
2011 Star Princess: S.America-E.Caribbean
2010 Sun Princess: SE Asia
2009 Dawn Princess: Papua New Guinea
2008 Tahitian Princess: Tahiti
2008 Sun Princess: New Zealand
2006 Pacific Star: Vanuatu

Old August 17th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akalways View Post
In the past I have made my lists using WordPerfect and added little "boxes" so I can check off what I have put in the suitcase, found in the closet, etc.

My lists were divided into carry on bag, DH's misc. items, my misc. items, general misc., and clothes. I also had another list with days of the week and how many changes, etc.

However, having just read about using Excel (particularly the colored option for repeats) I think I'm going to give that a try for our upcoming Feb. trip.

What a great board this is!! Now if I could just figure out how to upload a pix of my new dress I'd ask for help with shoe selection.
I have an excel spreadsheet that looks much like the one that KandC posted. I usually print out two copies and just use a hiliter to mark through each row as I pack the items. Then I leave the marked up list at home and put the other list in my "cruise folder." However, after you mentioned putting little boxes on your word document I immediately thought how easy that would be to do with my excel spreadsheet. All I'd have to do is insert a narrow little column before each day. Hmmmmm I could probably get away with printing only one list that way.

Carnival Holiday-7, Carnival Celebration-7, Carnival Imagination-5, Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas-5, Carnival Glory-7, Carnival Elation-5, Carnival Legend-7, Carnival Ecstasy-5, Carnival Dream-7, Carnival Legend-7, Carnival Conquest-7, Carnival Elation-5, Carnival Conquest-7, Carnival Dream -7, Carnival Inspiration - 3, Carnival Conquest-7, Carnival Elation-5, Carnival Conquest-6, Carnival Sunshine-7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtQoWZSRIHE

Old August 19th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Your kidding, right? I could never be that anal retentive...I'd just write a list on a pad of paper..good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehitabel View Post
I'm compiling a packing list in my Word program, but it's not as easy to read as I'd like. I've heard of people using their Excel programs to make packing spreadsheets, but how are they formatted?

I appreciate the help!

Old August 19th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

I love to use excel for organzing all kinds of things. I have columns for Day, Night, Misc, and carry on. I have a small column in front of each one to check off. I have a basic packing list and just have to update it for the specific trip. I highlight items I need to purchase and remove the highlighting when I have the item.

I use excel when planning a vacation too. With columns for each day and what is planned for each day. If I need to make reservations for something I highlight it until it has been taken care of.

I don't see this as anal rentitive just organized so that I am not like the person I met on the plane to Alaska who had a tank top on and had forgotten to pack a coat.
Conquest - Jan 29, 2006
Rhapsody - 2005
Rhapsody - 2003
Splendour - 1999

Old August 21st, 2011, 01:10 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default excel sheet

Hi Keksie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keksie View Post
I love to use excel for organzing all kinds of things. I have columns for Day, Night, Misc, and carry on. I have a small column in front of each one to check off. I have a basic packing list and just have to update it for the specific trip. I highlight items I need to purchase and remove the highlighting when I have the item.

I use excel when planning a vacation too. With columns for each day and what is planned for each day. If I need to make reservations for something I highlight it until it has been taken care of.

I don't see this as anal rentitive just organized so that I am not like the person I met on the plane to Alaska who had a tank top on and had forgotten to pack a coat.
I love these sheets

Any chance you could email me one of the excell sheets
I normally dont have a problem packing but this time for so long am in a bit of a quandry

my email is ebunn42@yahoo.com.au
kind regards
and keep cruising
Greg

I'm a Critter

Flash Mob Proposal link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=981

Future Cruises:

Rhapsody of the seas 16th September
Quantum of the seas 2nd November 2014
Rhapsody of the seas 17 April thru to 12th June 2015

Old August 21st, 2011, 03:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Keskie
Quote:

Please could you email me one as well, thanks
Sandy
t5fry at yahoo dot co dot uk

Old August 21st, 2011, 04:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks so much for this idea!!
I've almost got my whole packing/outfit list complete for our end of December cruise...early I know but I can use it now to remind myself that no, I don't actually need any new clothes or outfits for the cruise!

Old August 21st, 2011, 09:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

The emails are on the way. I have gotten error messages so if you do not get the spreadsheets email me at kmusgrove@live.com and I will try to reply to you.
Conquest - Jan 29, 2006
Rhapsody - 2005
Rhapsody - 2003
Splendour - 1999

Last edited by Keksie; August 21st, 2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Change

Old August 21st, 2011, 11:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

I also use a daytimer type book to keep everything organized for the trip. It has a zippered pouch where I stash my cash, a pocket for passports, a place for my license and credit cards and binder type system with zip pockets and paper pages. I have a page for each day with notes about confirmations, phone numbers etc. Then I fold and put the etickets in a zip pocket behind that day. This way everything I need for the day is at hand. It is small enough to fit in the backpack I use as a carry on.
Conquest - Jan 29, 2006
Rhapsody - 2005
Rhapsody - 2003
Splendour - 1999

Old August 21st, 2011, 12:34 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gathina View Post
Your kidding, right? I could never be that anal retentive...I'd just write a list on a pad of paper..good luck.

The difference to me is that you don't need a list for every cruise, it's all done. I use the same list over and over, just go in and change a few items as needed. I've used my original list for years, some things like toiletry items just don't change. No need to write out a new list each time, no need to try to remember what you need.

I print my husbands out for him when it's time to get ready for a cruise. No matter how many cruises we go on, he always asks what to take.

I still don't think I need such a detailed list with color blocks. I just list the number of things I need, such as 2 cocktail dresses. 4 pair shorts, 2 bathing suits, etc... I decide what to take when I'm pulling it out of the closet to get ready to pack. Too much detail like that would drive me bonkers. But it is like what cruise diva has on her site and my aunt likes hers better than
mine.

Old August 21st, 2011, 08:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Count me in with the responses like "A spreadsheet for packing? You are kidding me, right?". I am of the mindset that I pack, then take 1/2 out. I'll never miss what isn't there, and I never have. This works for Disney World, Las Vegas, cruising,, European vacation, etc. Life is too short to be making spreadsheets of what I need to pack. Just MHO.

Upcoming: Carnival (Valor ) Liberty 4/26/2015
Upcoming: Disney Wonder 12/3/14
Carnival Breeze 1/18/2014
Carnival Liberty 10/13/2012
Carnival Legend 11/27/11
Carnival Triumph 2/21/11

Old August 21st, 2011, 08:39 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:

Can you email me your spreadsheet? smdbjohn at gmail dot com Thanks

RCCL, Liberty of the Seas, 01/14, Western
CARNIVAL, Paradise, 01/13, Western
CARNIVAL, Dream, 11/12, Western
RCCL, Adventure of the Seas, 03/12, Southern
CARNIVAL, Dream, 12/11, Western
CARNIVAL, Pride, 10/11, Bermuda
CARNIVAL, Elation, 01/11, Western
RCCL,Freedom of the Seas, 09/10, Eastern
DISNEY, Magic, 5/09, Western
RCCL, Monarch of the Seas, 1/09, Bahamas
RCCL, Monarch of the Seas, 11/08, Bahamas
RCCL, Sovereign of the Seas, 02/08, Bahamas
RCCL, Mariner of the Seas, 05/07, Eastern

RCCL, Sovereign of the Seas, 12/06, Bahamas
RCCL, Sovereign of the Seas, 06/06, Bahamas

RCCL, Majesty of the Seas, 04/05, Bahamas
CELEBRITY, Century 04/02, Western

Old August 21st, 2011, 09:28 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
Count me in with the responses like "A spreadsheet for packing? You are kidding me, right?". I am of the mindset that I pack, then take 1/2 out. I'll never miss what isn't there, and I never have. This works for Disney World, Las Vegas, cruising,, European vacation, etc. Life is too short to be making spreadsheets of what I need to pack. Just MHO.
OK, suggestions everyone. What would you suggest taking on a TA cruise from Copenhagen in Sept. 20 2011 and a London-London cruise Oct 22-Nov 3 2012 and TA cruise London - Cape Canaveral 11/3 - 17/2012. I am trying limit my baggage to 1 carry on; maybe wearing warm clothing on the Icelandic Flight might help.
10 Jan NCL Sun S.A. & 10-Sept-Crn Princess TA & 10 Oct USS Taylor Reunion
11 Jan HAL Caribbean btb & 11 Jan HAL Caribbean btb & 11 Apr 2-9 Caribbean btb & 11 Apr 9-16 Caribbean btb & 11 Apr 16-23 Caribbean btb & 11 Sept 9/20-10/5 NCL Sun TA 8063
12 Jan Crown btb & 12 Feb Crown btb & 12 10/20-11/3 Grand Princess Canary Isle & 12 11/3-11/17 Grand Princess TA
13 Jan Noordam // Aug Maasdam Boston to Canada RT // Ryndam Athens to Rome // Rome-Barc // Barc 13 Tampa TA
14 Feb-Mar Statendam Polynesia // Aug-Sept Boston-Canada RT // Sept. Taylor Reunion//Nov-Dec Amazon Prinsendam
15 Feb-March Fll-LA RT Panama Canal//July-Voyage of Vikings

email - paulkatz8 at gmail dot com
West End Boston

Old August 23rd, 2011, 05:54 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Well, I could see where that COULD be useful..I am a pretty organized person, but I just can't be bothered with going into such detail..for me there are more exciting things to do then make everythign matchy matchy on a spread sheet in the name of being organized..

I guess I'm old school..I just take a legal pad and make a list and carry it with me and check it off as I go along. I even have a differnt page for things that need to be done: household page, packing page, shopping page. Woah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy ks View Post
The difference to me is that you don't need a list for every cruise, it's all done. I use the same list over and over, just go in and change a few items as needed. I've used my original list for years, some things like toiletry items just don't change. No need to write out a new list each time, no need to try to remember what you need.

I print my husbands out for him when it's time to get ready for a cruise. No matter how many cruises we go on, he always asks what to take.

I still don't think I need such a detailed list with color blocks. I just list the number of things I need, such as 2 cocktail dresses. 4 pair shorts, 2 bathing suits, etc... I decide what to take when I'm pulling it out of the closet to get ready to pack. Too much detail like that would drive me bonkers. But it is like what cruise diva has on her site and my aunt likes hers better than
mine.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
Actually many people on this thread didn't make a spreadsheet, they had someone email them a template of one that's already done.

While not making a packing list may work for you, not everyone shares your feelings. I prefer to make a packing list as it keeps me organized and ensures that I don't forget anything.

I happen to use Excel as it's easy to use and I can save it on my computer. Others prefer paper. Some prefer to throw items in a suitcase without a list. To each their own.