Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old November 14th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Worth $1,000 to bump up from Jr to Grand Suite and get concierge?

We reserved a Jr. Suite on Liberty and we're trying to decide if it's worth it to bump up to the Grand so we can utilize the concierge services. We don't really need more room so we would literally pay the extra just for the concierge services and lounge.

Old November 14th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

i would say no

Old November 14th, 2009, 02:16 PM
50,000+ Club

I don't NEED the concierge to do anything for me....and I certainly won't be drinking $1000 worth of booze, especially during the limited hours that booze is available....so, no--not worth it!

Old November 14th, 2009, 02:17 PM
5,000+ Club

I don't think we could drink $1000 worth! I certainly wouldn't do this.

Old November 14th, 2009, 02:19 PM
5,000+ Club

I think it's totally your decision. We'll be in a GS on Explorer in March. It's my 50th birthday and we thought we'd try it and see if we liked it. I like getting the "extras" and if we decide it's not worth it, we'll know next time. I do think it's a subjective thing and you will get all opinions. If you have the cash and it won't hurt, why not?

Grandeur of the Seas 18 March 2014
Allure of the Seas 03 Nov 2013
Explorer of the Seas 15 Mar 2013
Explorer of the Seas 04 Nov 2012
Enchantment of the Seas 10 March 2012
Freedom of the Seas 16 Oct 2011
Enchantment of the Seas 23 July 2011
Explorer of the Seas 07 Nov 2010
Explorer of the Seas 19 Mar 2010
Grandeur of the Seas 25 July 2009
Carnival Miracle 22 April 2009
Carnival Glory 01 Nov 2008
Dawn Princess 21 Oct 2007
Carnival Glory 11 Nov 2006
Carnival Fantasy 13 Nov 2005

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 14th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm a hump balcony girl so I don't usually stay in suites. Here is what the RCCL site says is included in concierge service:

A dedicated Concierge who is available to assist with anything you require
Twenty-four-hour a day use of the Concierge Club Lounge
Continental breakfast every morning† and open bar & hors d'oeuvres every evening available in the Concierge Club Lounge
Assistance with reservations for Portofino Italian restaurant & Chops Grille Steakhouse
Assistance with Explorations! Bookings
Assistance booking appointments for Salon or Spa treatments
Priority tickets for the ice skating show
Assistance with the arrangement of private parties
Personalized Discover Shopping advice
DVDs and CDs available to borrow during the Concierge's hours Pre-ordering of your dinner wine Business services (faxing, copying, etc.)

Now, for someone like me, where I enjoy ordering my wines, making online reservations and booking excursions before the cruise because I LOVE the planning part -this is pretty useless. I also only eat breakfast on my balcony with my sweetie - nothing is more romantic! No interest in ice skating show, not faxing or copying anything, don't think I'm going to watch a DVD on my cruise, not much of a drinker so dont' need a few hours or so of free booze - but, for some people that don't like the planning stages or need help making reservations at the spa or something I guess its worth it. If you drink a lot, it would likely be worth it if you can pound away some free alcohol and if you like eating breakfast at the restaurant then that would be good.
I'm not sure that any of this is really worth $1000 - for me it isn't worth anything but even for someone that likes a lot of this it still seems a hefty price to pay.....But only you can say what you enjoy or want out of your cruise. what kind of stuff would you like the concierge to do for you?

Old November 14th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Also, the tips are higher in a GS.

MS BERLIN NORTH GERMAN LLOYD 1957(Immigration), SUNCRUISES MS CAROUSEL 1997, NORWAY NCL 1998, CENTURY CELEBRITY 1999, QE2 CUNARD 2000, NORDIC EMPRESS RCI 2001, VEENDAM HAL2002, NORDIC EMPRESS RCI 2003, HORIZON CELEBRITY, 2004, LIRICA MSC 2005, MAGICA COSTA 2006, VEENDAM HAL 2006,LEGEND OF THE SEAS RCI 2007, VEENDAM HAL NOV 2007,JEWEL OF THE SEAS RCI 2008, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS RCI 2008, GRANDEUR OF THE SEAS RCI 2008, JOURNEY AZAMARA 2009, Grandeur of the Seas, RCI 2009,FREEDOM OF THE SEAS RCI 2010, Allure of the Seas, RCI2011, Jewel of the Seas, RCI 2012, Brilliance of the Seas, RCI 2013, Jewel of the Seas, B2B, 2014

Old November 14th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

I dont think the extra $$$ is worth it. However, a GS will give you 2 cruise credits and if that put me into the next CA level I would consider it. Also, I did a suite gaurantee once and got upgraded to a GS. You never know.

Old November 14th, 2009, 02:28 PM
10,000+ Club

having a full suite means more than just the CL. You'll get an invite for a bridge tour, a free bottle of champagne in your room, canapes, choc dipped strawberries, ghiradelli choc squares on your pillow, a different room service menu to order breakfast from, a seperate suite seating area for breakfast, not to mention reserved seating at the pool and in the theatre. That's all the comes to mind at the moment.

Old November 14th, 2009, 02:33 PM
20,000+ Club

If it´s only the concierge service your are thinking about I´d say no it´s not worth $1000.

Old November 14th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandMcruisers View Post
I dont think the extra $$$ is worth it. However, a GS will give you 2 cruise credits and if that put me into the next CA level I would consider it. Also, I did a suite gaurantee once and got upgraded to a GS. You never know.
A JS also receives 2 credits.
Carn. Elation;Rhapsody;Monarch Of The Seas;Adventure of the Seas;Rhapsody;Radiance; Adventure,Voyager,Radiance,Carn.Paradise
b2b,Adventure.Carn. Paradise b2b, Mariner, Radiance
b2b,Mariner, Radiance,Freedom,Mariner,Mariner.

San Antonio cruisers, check this out..
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=51709

Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Old November 14th, 2009, 02:38 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcathorse View Post
having a full suite means more than just the CL. You'll get an invite for a bridge tour, a free bottle of champagne in your room, canapes, choc dipped strawberries, ghiradelli choc squares on your pillow, a different room service menu to order breakfast from, a seperate suite seating area for breakfast, not to mention reserved seating at the pool and in the theatre. That's all the comes to mind at the moment.

You get an automatic invite for a bridge tour if you sail in a suite? I must be living under a rock....is this part of the new suite perks?

Cruises already enjoyed:
Radiance of the Seas - Feb 13-20/05
Adventure of the Seas - Jan 29/06
Radiance of the Seas - Nov 5-11/06
Adventure of the Seas - Feb 25 - March 4/07
Adventure of the Seas - March 4 - March 11/07
Mariner of the Seas - Nov 11-18/07
Adventure of the Seas - Feb 24 - March 2/08
Adventure of the Seas - March 2 - March 9/08
Mariner of the Seas - Nov 16-23/08
Adventure of the Seas - Feb 22- March 1/09
Freedom of the Seas - Aug 23-30/09
Adventure of the Seas - March 7- March 14/10
Adventure of the Seas - March 14- March 21/10
Freedom of the Seas - Nov 14 -21/10
Adventure of the Seas - Feb 13- 20/11
Adventure of the Seas - Feb 20- 27/11
Freedom of the Seas - Oct 23-30/11
Freedom of the Seas - Feb 12 - 19/12
Freedom of the Seas - Feb 19 - 26/12
Adventure of the Seas - Feb 17 - 24/13
Adventure of the Seas - Feb 24 - March 3/13
Explorer of the Seas - Nov 14 -23/13
Adventure of the Seas - Feb 23 - March 2/14
Diamond Plus C&A Member

Old November 14th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default no bridge tour for us!

We just sailed on the JOS in a RFS last week on the 10 day repo, having the extra space was the best, we were 4 women, so 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms was the best, suite perks were nice, we went the the CL for drinks 3 times only, we did receive a free bottle of wine, some canapes & chocolate covered strawberrries, each on different evenings. In the cabin there was the usual portfolio thingy but it contained copies of the special menus for items available to suite guests only. To me the best part was the free valet service for disembarcation. I wouldn't pay $1000.00 extra for the CL but for 4 women splitting the $$$ it was perfect.

I believe the bridge tour is only given to Diamond + C&A members, unless special arrangements are made.
Ocean Princess - 2001
Carnival - Inspiration 2002
Explorer of the Seas-2005
Jewel of the Seas - 2006
Enchantment of the Seas - 2006
Explorer of the Seas - 2007
Explorer of the Seas - 2008
Adventure of the Seas - 2008
Jewel of the Seas - 2009
Serenade of the Seas - 2010 - First B2B
Freedom of the Seas - 2012
Explorer of the Seas - 2013
Jewel of the Seas-B2B - Nov 2014

Old November 14th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

It all depends on the Captain if suite guests get a bridge tour invite.

Past Cruises
Carnival (3)
Fantasy 4/25/98, Jubilee 8/2/01, Fantasy 10/28/01

Royal Caribbean (20)
Mariner 2/5/06, Brilliance 2/2/07, Mariner 1/13/08, Freedom 8/24/08, Sovereign 10/27/08 (The final voyage), Rhapsody 7/31/09, Serenade 2/6/10, Navigator 10/23/10, Monarch 8/19/11, Monarch 12/9/11, Oasis 2/4/12, Monarch 9/17/12, Monarch 12/7/12 & 12/10/12 (B2B), Monarch 12/21/12, Monarch 3/29/13 (The final voyage), Enchantment 8/2/13, Enchantment 10/28/13, Freedom 2/2/14, Enchantment 9/26/14

Oasis of the Seas 10/24/15 (Birthday)
Enchantment of the Seas 12/18/15
Freedom of the Seas 2/7/16 (Anniversary)
Majesty of the Seas 4/25/16
Majesty of the Seas 4/29/16

Old November 14th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyprincess View Post
Here is what the RCCL site says is included in concierge service:

A dedicated Concierge who is available to assist with anything you require
Twenty-four-hour a day use of the Concierge Club Lounge
Continental breakfast every morning† and open bar & hors d'oeuvres every evening available in the Concierge Club Lounge
Assistance with reservations for Portofino Italian restaurant & Chops Grille Steakhouse
Assistance with Explorations! Bookings
Assistance booking appointments for Salon or Spa treatments
Priority tickets for the ice skating show
Assistance with the arrangement of private parties
Personalized Discover Shopping advice
DVDs and CDs available to borrow during the Concierge's hours Pre-ordering of your dinner wine Business services (faxing, copying, etc.)
All of which you can do yourself in person or on the phone from your cabin. IMO for $1000 it isn't worth it.
NCL STAR, April 12, 2015 Transcanal

We were on the last cruise of the SS Norway
and went to muster stations for real
D-PLUS
ELITE
GOLD

Old November 14th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were once upgraded at the dock from JS to GS. It was great to have the extra space and concierge access; however, I don't think I would pay the extra $$ unless I could really consume LOTS of alcohol for the three daily hours that free drinks are offered (and it's self-serve, so no blender, meaning none of the foo-foo drinks). The drinks must be consumed in the concierge lounge, so you can't go there to get your drinks then go back to your room to enjoy ocean views. The concierge lounge is in the middle of the ship, with no windows.

I know someone posted the list of benefits - I was not aware that being in a suite meant they saved pool chairs - that may be worth it!

The GS room is larger, as is the balcony, but not enough to justify the added cost, in my opinion.

Old November 14th, 2009, 05:07 PM
10,000+ Club

I agree with most of the above...We did a GTY JS and was upgraded to a GS..Would not have payed extra for it...Having said that I would maybe be tempted if the cruise was going to be a very long one. But still would wait to see if the price of that upgrade offer would go down as it gets closer to my sailing date..And yes the JS gets 2 CC's as well..Everyone has their own needs, comforts and budget when making these decisions..Does anyone think more and more upgrades are being offered lately ?

Old November 14th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckrobyn View Post
You get an automatic invite for a bridge tour if you sail in a suite? I must be living under a rock....is this part of the new suite perks?
LOL.....you are not living under a rock. Suite guests do not get an automatic invite for a bridge tour. Only diamond plus guests get an automatic invite for a choice of the bridge tour, galley tour, or behind the scenes theater tour. If there is a small number of diamond plus guests that choose the bridge tour the LA will then invite some of the suite guests. If you are on the LA's radar than certain suite guests will also get an automatic bridge tour.

Old November 14th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Can you drink $1000 worth of cheap wine?

Old November 14th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Mrs. and I stayed in a GS 4 of our last 5 cruises. One was a upgrade.
AND
We seldom use the Concierge Lounge. We may on our next cruise since Diamond Members, (which we are) no longer use the lounge making it less crowded.

Everyone who cruises has their own tastes, and so do you. There are some people here that never stay in anything but a inside cabin, those that like a balcony, and those who like a suite. That's why there are so many different stateroom categories.