Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Mediterranean - Eastern & Western > Greece Ports

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Greece Ports Athens, Corfu, Crete, Katakolon, Limassol, Mykonos, Rhodes, Santorini, Volos

Old January 12th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

loved the video

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Love, love, love the video! I sympathize with the walkers, learned a long time ago to ride when I can. Save my steps for places where I can't get to by taxi, bus, train, etc!

Thanks for posting!
Jennifer

Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Great Video

Loved the video – thanks.

Question – do you find the tour office after you take the cable car to the top, or before?

Thanks,
Terry

Past Cruises:
Grand princess 7/12 Baltic Heritage
Caribbean Princess 12/11 Southern Caribbean
Ruby Princess 6/10 Eastern Med
Crown Princess 12/09 - Western Caribbean
Island Princess 12/08 - Panama Canal Transit
Crown Princess 12/07- Southern Caribbean
Brilliance of the Seas 7/07 - Europe via the Med
Crown Princess 12/06- Southern Caribbean
Coral Princess 7/05 - Alaska Northbound
Infinity 12/01- Southern Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas 12/99 - Southern Caribbean

Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yep! It's after you get to the top. Really, there's nothing at the bottom right when you get off the boat - so take the cable car up and walk around.

I wish I remembered the name of it, but basically - find the archaeological museum and with your back to the museum, there should be an outdoor restaurant (blue, of course!) straight ahead - and attached to it is the travel agency we used. There will be photos of Christina Ricci inside standing in the doorway because that's where they filmed The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. (I like how I remember meaningless facts and nothing of use!).

I really wish we had more than 8 hours in Santorini. It's so pretty - and my favorite stop out of the ones we hit!

Old January 26th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4 View Post
I only recommend walking up the steps if you are in fabulous condition.

There are about 600 steps to go up from the ship. After you go up a step, it's about 3-6 feet walking until the next step. You have to watch out for the donkey poop and the donkeys will walk right into you so you have to be ready to get out of their way.

I rode a donkey and had a great time, but we passed the walkers and most were really struggling. When I got off the donkey, there were still about 25-30 steps to walk up and after that, I couldn't imagine how some of the people could make it all the way up. (And I'm in fine shape.) I don't know how long it would take to walk up it, but it took about 25 minutes by donkey.
My husband and I chose to walk up the donkey path, not quite realizing HOW exhausting it was. I think it took us 30 to 40 minutes. Once you commit, there is no stopping! We were sweaty messes at the end! And since it was a busy day, there were a lot of donkeys going up past us and coming down toward us. It was TIGHT at times! We kept our hands up like the signal for STOP to keep the donkeys from getting too close! Now we look back and laugh, but uh, won't do that again!!

Old January 30th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Donkeys Rule in Santorini!

Your video was quite good, especially with the lively music accompaniment! Had a great time watching it, though I feel somewhat sorry for your friends. Well, the main thing is that they eventually saw great views and took nice photos, and did not suffer any physical injuries from the hike.

As an aside though, Frommer's is an excellent guidebook, for our family at least. We had used it extensively on our 3 week land tour of Hawaii. But then, we mostly drove to the sights. My husband and our children would have been game to walking 6 miles or more, but definitely not me

Thanks for posting your informative and entertaining video.

Long live the donkeys!

Old January 30th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriSea View Post
My husband and I chose to walk up the donkey path, not quite realizing HOW exhausting it was. I think it took us 30 to 40 minutes. Once you commit, there is no stopping! We were sweaty messes at the end! And since it was a busy day, there were a lot of donkeys going up past us and coming down toward us. It was TIGHT at times! We kept our hands up like the signal for STOP to keep the donkeys from getting too close! Now we look back and laugh, but uh, won't do that again!!
Wow, I admire you for making it up to the top! Ride the donkeys next time - they're great fun!

Old January 31st, 2010, 09:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

FANTASTIC!!
I admire your creativity! Well done.

Old January 31st, 2010, 07:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Zubs, Your video was very entertaining! It certainly demonstrates that there are many ways to see Santorini. Thanks for sharing.

Old February 1st, 2010, 05:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Still laughing at your video! I hope you make more like it and share it with us on CC. Thanks! And thanks for the tip on the drivers/cars. We'll be looking for them on our trip to Santorini (after we get out of the cable car, of course...no walking up for ME).

Old February 3rd, 2010, 10:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just loved your video. Santa brought me a new hip for Christmas, so my days of walking up all thoses steps are done for a while. And, I'll take my horse over those donkey's anytime.

Old February 11th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Santorini Donkey question

Does anyone know if there is a weight limit for the Donkeys from Santorini port to Fira?

How about the bus schedule from Fira to Oia?

Thank You.

Old February 12th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyd View Post
Does anyone know if there is a weight limit for the Donkeys from Santorini port to Fira?

How about the bus schedule from Fira to Oia?

Thank You.
Yes, there is a weight limit, probably around 200 pounds, but it is whatever the guy at the bottom thinks when he looks at you before getting on the donkey, not scientific at all!

I believe that the bus runs every 30 minutes, but am not sure because we rented a car for both of our port days in Santorini (40 Euros and freedom to make our own schedule; easy driving and parking!).

Old February 13th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

So what I am getting from these posts is not to waste money on ship excursion,,,,
take the cablecars to Fira then bus to Oia
sound right?

Old February 14th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have never been to Santorini, BeCruiser, but that is the same conclusion I reached.

LOVED the video, Zubs! Well done!

Old February 17th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeCruiser View Post
So what I am getting from these posts is not to waste money on ship excursion,,,,
take the cablecars to Fira then bus to Oia
sound right?
Yes, but if you have any extra time after Oia, the Museum of Prehistoric Thira in Fira near the bus station is a wonderful museum containing a beautiful display of the best artifacts from the Akrotiri archaelogical site (now closed to the public), the ancient Aegean civilization as unknown and ancient to the Classical Age Greeks as those Greeks are to us today.

Lovely wall paintings, a beautiful solid-gold goat, and good a/c and modern bathrooms.

Enjoy!

Old February 20th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am trying to figure out which ports we can get away with doing without the high price ship shore excursions,,,,

Old February 21st, 2010, 08:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well! The video speaks for itself. You have such little time in Santorini that sometimes no plan is a good plan. I would advise just milling around town, stopping by one of the travel shops and see what day excursions they have available. You'll find that they're - for the most part - very inexpensive. One that was tempting was a car / boat ride that involved a trip to some hot springs + a coastal car ride. That might have been fun, but we didn't decide on our 3-hour ride after a good lapse in time

Trust me, when it comes to vacations and spending money - I'm the first person to want to know EXACTLY what we're doing ahead of time - but after we were through with Santorini, I'm glad we had no plan and was really happy with what we were able to see in such a short amount of time. LOVED IT!

Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you so much for not only insight, but quite a few laughs. I had already decided to try to do Santorini on our own, but you provided me with validation. We sail on the Equinox in May!

Thanks again!

Old February 27th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Any advise on Dubrovnik? Ship excursion or on your own?