Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > P&O Cruises ( UK )

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

P&O Cruises ( UK ) - Company Profile & Ship Reviews

View Poll Results: How much are you willing to pay for a glass of wine that was suggested by an expert?
No more than £4 per glass -- I like a bargain! 19 46.34%
I think £6 is good value for a nice glass of wine 7 17.07%
If it was a very nice glass, I would pay up to £10 1 2.44%
I'd prefer to buy the bottle 11 26.83%
I don't drink wine, so it really doesn't interest me 2 4.88%
Something else, which I will post below 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 1st, 2009, 10:50 AM
Associate Editor

Default How much are you willing to pay for a nice glass of wine?

TV wine expert Olly Smith is preparing to hold online wine-tasting sessions throughout September to promote the wine that will feature onboard P&O Azura's new wine bar and restaurant, The Glass House.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=3405

We want to know: How much are you willing to pay for a nice glass of wine that was suggested by an expert? Vote in our poll!

Old September 1st, 2009, 04:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

The cost of a glass of wine is akin to the length of the piece of string, and we all know how long that can be

Old September 1st, 2009, 05:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

I found you can get an excellent glass of wine for £3.50-£4 and the same in a bottle for £10.25 to £11.50. Even on board P&O these are what you might pay.

As for the Glass House, I would recommend the special package where you get a different wine with each course. On Constellation it was suberb at about $27 for the 4-5 wines.

Azura - Transatlantic - Mar 11 Canaries Aug 11
Ventura - Weekender - Apr 11
Azura - Canaries - Aug 11
Ventura - Weekender Apr 11 - Transatlantic - Oct 11 - Weekender Jul 12 - Transatlantic Mar 13
Oriana - Mid-week break - Nov 11
Oceana - Weekender Aug 05 - Essential Norway - Aug 08 - West Med Jul 09 - Panama - Nov 09 - City break Aug 10 - Atlantic Apr 12 - East Med Jul 13
Arcadia - Caribbean Dec 05 - Weekender Dec 11
QE2 - Summer Bank Holiday Aug 06
Constellation - Baltic Aug 07
Aurora - Canaries Aug 08 - Cape Town Apr 10
Artemis - Weekender Sep 08 - Caribbean Dec 08
Oriana - Weekender Apr 09
Adventurer of the Seas - West Med Jun 10
QV - Christmas Markets - Dec 10

Old September 1st, 2009, 06:35 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I pay around £4 for a large wine at my local, which is a pleasant place, but hardly a cruise ship ambiance! I'd expect to pay more at sea, but one glass is never enough.......Again, a bottle in a pub (drinkable!), will start at £12, but it's not like drinking under the Med. stars.....jocap.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

I would just as soon try a wine recommended by my next door neighbour than a so-called expert. Unless he borrowed my taste buds for a while there is no way he could know if I'd like it. How can I say what I'd pay for wine I haven't even tasted and also to suggest that his recommendation should affect the price is ludicrous.
Rant over.
Pete

Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

For a really good Bordeaux or Champagne I'd certainly pay more than £10. Quite possibly a lot more.

But I'd rather have the bottle - and really good wine is not normally sold by the glass (although Queen Mary 2 does sell La Grande Dame by the glass at $37.50 + 15% "gratuity" from what I recall)

But if it was the usual New World stuff - £5-8 would be my range and only then if the measure were 250ml, rather than 125ml.

Save in cheap places, I rarely drink wine bought by the glass - and only then if I'm the only one drinking.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpete47uk View Post
I would just as soon try a wine recommended by my next door neighbour than a so-called expert. Unless he borrowed my taste buds for a while there is no way he could know if I'd like it. How can I say what I'd pay for wine I haven't even tasted and also to suggest that his recommendation should affect the price is ludicrous.
Rant over.
Pete
I used to think like this untill I realised that a wine expert is telling me it is a good wine in the same way as Crufts winner is a good dog. If you don't like dogs, it aint to your taste. A good wine is a good wine, whether you like it or not is really imaterial. With regards to our own preferences, I just keep trying different wines and remember the one I like.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

I don't mind paying £4.50 for a glass of something decent. Someone on our table on our last cruise bought a wine package but there turned out to be more wines she didn't like than those she did. I'd prefer to buy a bottle of what I know I like e.g. Sauvignon Blanc, or a Shiraz/Cabernet. I hate to buy a package only to be curling my nose up after the first mouthful.