Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Old August 31st, 2009, 12:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Wrap around walking decks?

We love those walking decks that go all the way around a ship---usually on a promenade deck. We are used to them on Princess ships. Our last two cruises on the Carnival Liberty and Carnival Glory did not have those decks---instead you got to walk on the top deck out in the sun and wind going around a wee little area. We are deciding between the Grand Princess or the HAL Noordam to go to the southern caribbearn in January out of Ft. Lauderdale. If the Noordam does not have a walking deck, that may tip the scales to the Grand Princess. Are those decks on HAL ships??
Sea Princess, 4/2002 Mexican Riviera
Coral Princess,6/2003 Alaska
Carnival Liberty, 2/2007 Western Caribbean
Coral Princess, 1/2008 Panama Canal
Monarch of the Seas, 1/2009 Bahamas
Carnival Glory, 1/2009 Western Caribbean
HAL Noordam, 1/2010 Southern Caribbean
Ruby Princess, 9/2010 Mediterranean
Carnival Freedom, 1/2011, Western Caribbean
Majesty of the Seas, 4/2014, Bahamas,Key West
Norwegian Gem, 9/2014, Canada-New England

Last edited by LakeErieLive; August 31st, 2009 at 12:02 AM.

Old August 31st, 2009, 12:21 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Oh God yes!! There is a promenade deck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieLive View Post
We love those walking decks that go all the way around a ship---usually on a promenade deck. We are used to them on Princess ships. Our last two cruises on the Carnival Liberty and Carnival Glory did not have those decks---instead you got to walk on the top deck out in the sun and wind going around a wee little area. We are deciding between the Grand Princess or the HAL Noordam to go to the southern caribbearn in January out of Ft. Lauderdale. If the Noordam does not have a walking deck, that may tip the scales to the Grand Princess. Are those decks on HAL ships??
Yes!! The HAL ships all have a wonderful promenade deck that's perfect for afternoon walks!!
That's one of the things that I love about HAL is the promenade deck with the lounge chairs and wooden benches!!! Nothing is better than walking along the deck on a sea day and then relaxing in a lounge chair!!
By all means, pick the Noordam!!

CRUISES
Carnival Fascination (3 day Bahama cruise) 2001
MV Columbia (7 day back to back Alaskan inside passage cruise) 2002
Oosterdam (7 day Western Caribbean cruise) 2004
Westerdam (7 day Western Caribbean cruise) 2005
Carnival Miracle (7 day Western Caribbean cruise) 2006
Maasdam (10 day Southern Caribbean cruise) 2007
Maasdam (14 day Southern Caribbean cruise) 2008
Carnival Fantasy (7 day Key West and Bahamas cruise) 2009
Carnival Triumph (5 day Western Caribbean cruise) April 2010
Maasdam (11 day Southern Caribbean cruise) December 2010
Carnival Dream (7 day Western Caribbean) September 2011
Peru! Lima to Machu Picchu April 2012!
Carnival Elation (5 day Western Caribbean cruise) June 2013

Old August 31st, 2009, 01:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by airlink diva View Post
Yes!! The HAL ships all have a wonderful promenade deck that's perfect for afternoon walks!!
That's one of the things that I love about HAL is the promenade deck with the lounge chairs and wooden benches!!! Nothing is better than walking along the deck on a sea day and then relaxing in a lounge chair!!
By all means, pick the Noordam!!
Not Only that the Deck is Teak all the way round. You get to walk on wood much nicer walking surface than others. My morning routine is to get up, throw on Sweats for Alaska Cruise, or Shorts for warmer climate, my walking shoes, and go walk 2 miles 8 times round usually. Then proceed to the lido grab a light breakfast. Toast with peanut butter, or sausage or Bacon and a coffee. Very light lol. Grab two coffee to go. Take back to cabin. Wake Significant other. With a coffee and breakfast bun. Shower check the daily s for activities. Shower and take my sweetheart to breakfast. Her choice MD or Lido
If a Sea Day, go to Bingo , then either gym, or pool. Till Lunch.

Holland America Cruise Line
ms Zaandam
October 2009
Hawaii
ms Statendam
September 2004
Alaska
ms Ryndam
September 2001
U.S. Pacific Coast

CPR
Empress of England
October 1958

Old August 31st, 2009, 06:23 AM
50,000+ Club

We love walking on the Promenade Deck.

Old August 31st, 2009, 06:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Do not know about the Noordam but the Grand is my favorite ship so far but I wasn't a walker then. But if I remember correctly it had the walking up top and also an lower outside walking area. I am tring Hal for the first time soon and my TA says I will love it. (room service breakfasts).
Dolphin December/1993
SS Britanis Jan/1994
Festivale November/1995
Star Princess (not sure of year)
Sensation June/1996
Horizon Jan/2001
Grand Princess Jan 2007 B2B
Grand Princess Dec 2007
Grand Princess Nov-26-11
Nieuw Amsterdam Jan-11 B2B

Eurodam 12-5-09
Eurodam 12-3-11
Zaandam 1-21-10
Sapphire Princess 9-21-2012

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:48 AM
10,000+ Club

All HAL ships of have been on have wrap around walking decks. On the "S" and "R" class they are on the Lower Promenade Deck. On the Vista ships they are on the Promenade deck and on the "Signature Class" I beleive they are on the Promenade decks and the floors are teakwood.

Old August 31st, 2009, 10:40 AM
5,000+ Club

Soundsgreat6 --That sounds great!! I love being up and about before other living creatures. I get to see the crew in the jumpsuits cleaning the decks! Then they disappear. Mysterious men. I get my quick breakfast and go out to the sea view pool and watch us dock or watch the sun rise! I wanna be on a cruise!!! oh dear. 102 days.
Queen of Bermuda circa 1963 * Carnival Festivale 1995 * AMSTERDAM Alaska 7/02 * Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas 1/05 * WESTERDAM Baltic 9/05 * NOORDAM West Mediterranean 6/06 * VEENDAM West Caribbean 12/06 * Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas 4/07 * STATENDAM Alaska Cruise-Tour 9/07 * ZUIDERDAM Eastern Caribbean 12/07 * AMSTERDAM Panama Canal transit 4/08 * EURODAM Bahamas 10/08 * NOORDAM Southern Caribbean 12/08 * NOORDAM Southern Caribbean 12/09 * NIEUW AMSTERDAM Eastern Mediterranean 9/10 * RYNDAM Western Caribbean 12/10 * VEENDAM Bermuda 10/11 * MAASDAM Southern Caribbean 3/12 * PRINSENDAM TransAtlantic 5/13 * Disney Dream Bahamas 11/13 * Eurodam 8/14

Last edited by catl331; August 31st, 2009 at 10:48 AM.

Old August 31st, 2009, 10:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

I, too, love the promenade decks on HAL, especially the teak surface and loungers. On our only Princess cruise, DH and I were very disappointed that in order to get all the way around the ship on the promenade deck, we had to climb stairs to another deck, walk a ways and then descend back to the promenade deck. Really interrupted the flow of the walk.

HAL Oosterdam 9/13
HAL Ryndam 9/09 ~
Golden Princess 5/08
~ HAL Volendam 5/07
RCI Monarch of the Seas 1/07
~ HAL Volendam 8/06
~ RCI Monarch of the Seas 2/05
HAL Veendam 7/04
~ Epirotiki Jupiter 8/71

Old August 31st, 2009, 11:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

I think it should also be noted that, if the Crown Princess is representative, that HAL's promenade is considerably wider. Simply a far better experience for those that enjoy it.
Ryndam 14 day 2/15
"X" Eclipse 14 day 2/16

Old August 31st, 2009, 03:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thats how we start the day with a walk around around the promende
deck early in the morning.

Old August 31st, 2009, 03:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

I love walking that wrap around deck too. I have PROMISED myself to do LOTS of walking (along with stair climbing) on my upcoming cruise. Hopefully it will help!!

Next Cruise
78 night Grand Pacific and Far East Voyage
Past Cruises
115 night Grand World on Amsterdam....January 5, 2013 http://world.kweenkaren.com

62 night Grand Mediterranean/Black Sea on Prinsendam...March, 2012 http://mediterranean.kweenkaren.com/
66 night Grand South America/Antarctica on Prinsendam...January, 2011 http://southamerica.kweenkaren.com/
14 day Alaska Adventure on Amsterdam...June, 2010 http://alaska.kweenkaren.com/
67-night Grand Pacific, Australia & New Zealand on Amsterdam Sept, 2009 http://dreamcruise.kweenkaren.com/
Amsterdam....Panama Canal....Ft Lauderdale to Seattle...April, 2007
Amsterdam....Alaska....August, 2004
Veendam.....Carribean.....April, 1980
Island Princess....Mexico......Honeymoon.....October, 1973

Old August 31st, 2009, 06:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl_m View Post
Thats how we start the day with a walk around around the promende
deck early in the morning.

Early in the morning....wonderful time on the promenade. Walking late at night when the sky and the ocean are dark ..a cozy wrap and holding the arm of that guy I like to cruise with... is another of my favorite times.

Truth is there is no bad time on the promenade..so wish I was strolling 'round it now.

Old August 31st, 2009, 07:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Definitly how we like to both begin and end our day on board!

Old August 31st, 2009, 08:46 PM
30,000+ Club

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himself View Post
All HAL ships of have been on have wrap around walking decks. On the "S" and "R" class they are on the Lower Promenade Deck. On the Vista ships they are on the Promenade deck and on the "Signature Class" I beleive they are on the Promenade decks and the floors are teakwood.
Let's not forget the Prinsendam. She also has a wrap-around walking deck on the Promenade Deck. And on that ship you pass the bow as you circle around the front! What a view! What a breeze!

I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter.

Old August 31st, 2009, 09:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Kruizers View Post
We love walking on the Promenade Deck.
I know on the Maasdam it will be on the Lower Promenade Deck. I was wandering if you can also axcess the back of the ship from the Veranda deck ? I thought it looked as if this may be possable. Does any one know ?

Old September 1st, 2009, 02:49 PM
10,000+ Club

I think every HAL ship has the walkaround teak wood deck and I just love to walk them.

Old September 1st, 2009, 04:15 PM
30,000+ Club

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himself View Post
I think every HAL ship has the walkaround teak wood deck
Yup. You're correct.

I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter.

Old September 1st, 2009, 04:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Wrap-around Promenade

One of the many reasons we're returning to HAL is the teak wrap-around promenade. There is something so invigorating about a trek around the ship. If I could sail forever I'd be in better shape, since I never walk at home, but discovered that I faithfully walked three miles every day on the Maasdam. What a joy! Hubby sat in a wooden deck chair and read and counted my laps. You will love this deck. It is very quiet so if you enjoy a good book and the sound of the sea slapping against the side of a ship with the wind in your face, this could become your favorite spot.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenseasnomad View Post
One of the many reasons we're returning to HAL is the teak wrap-around promenade. There is something so invigorating about a trek around the ship. If I could sail forever I'd be in better shape, since I never walk at home, but discovered that I faithfully walked three miles every day on the Maasdam. What a joy! Hubby sat in a wooden deck chair and read and counted my laps. You will love this deck. It is very quiet so if you enjoy a good book and the sound of the sea slapping against the side of a ship with the wind in your face, this could become your favorite spot.
You make a very good point. Aside from the fact that it is wide, teak, and goes completely around on one deck, HAL's promenade (at least on the S and R class ships) is much closer to the ocean. Many times, I have enjoyed the salt spray as I neared the bow!
Ryndam 14 day 2/15
"X" Eclipse 14 day 2/16

Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieLive View Post
I have never sailed HAL, but will in a few months. Have sailed Princess three times (all Grand class or Carib. Princess), yes the promenade deck does wrap around, but there are climbing/descending stairs port and starboard. Sounds like HAL ships have a continuous single level promenade/walking deck.