Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call

Old August 19th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default NCL Jewel laundry

We'll be on the Jewel for 14 days in Oct/Nov and obviously laundry could be a problem. I know there is an on board laundry for guests, but I also heard that it is no longer in use. Is that true? What is the cost of having it done by the ships laundry? Thanks for your help.

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just got off the Jewel after 12 days in the Baltics. We packed for cooler weather, but ended up with GREAT weather (in the 70's every day) - and found we didn't have enough warm weather clothes.

Twice during the cruise, they placed a "$25 Laundry Special" bag in the room. The first showed up on Day 4, we turned it in on Day 5 and got it back on Day 6, and then there was another one on about Day 8 or 9 (we didn't do that one).

Basically, shove as much as you can into the bag and they'll launder it and return it folded for $25. I think we got about 20 - 22 pieces of clothing into it. They also have standard laundry service, like in a hotel, but it was something like $5 per shirt, so the special was really a good deal.

There are no self-serve laundry services on the Jewel.

Old August 19th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm going to ditto exactly what pbadeer wrote. (we did the 12 day baltic at the end of June). except that I used the service twice.. .. I handed in my bag early on the morning of the first bag day and didn't get it back until mid day 2 days later (should have gotten it back no later than the after noon of the 1st day after.. however, they made up for it on the 2nd bag.. which, again, I gave in early.. as in told my cabin steward it was there, instead of waiting for them to find it on the bed.. and i had it back that evening.. I don't know if it helped that I was in a suite, but .. they charged me for the first one, even though it wasn't returned on time (I did hear some excuse about having it, but we were never in the cabin to receive it (didn't have to be).. )..

and yes there is no longer a laundry on board for guests.. not happy about that.. I made up for it by purchasing a bottle of cold water wash and doing our "fine washables", if you know what I mean.. and hanging them on the balcony (I doubt NCL was happy about that, but 3 children and 2 adults need clean "fine washables".. especially when gone way away from home for 3 weeks in total.
P&O Arcadia (now the Ocean Village) - 14 night Caribbean Mar/Apr 2001
RCCl - Adventure of the Seas
Carnival Destiny - 5 day - April 2007
NCL Jewel - Baltic 12 night June 2009
HAL Maasdam - New England/Canada July/Aug 2013 - 7 days

Old August 20th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Typical timing on getting your laundry back is for example. If you give it to them anytime on a wednesday for instance, it will be back typically between 5-6 on Friday. Roll-up all of your laundry. You can get more in the bag. Don't worry if it overflows, they will take it anyway. Nothign comes back on hangers. They do a good job.
SS BRITIANIS 06/90 Western Caribbean
RCCL ? 05/96 - Ensenada
SEA BREEZE 03/00 - Western Caribbean
STAR PRINCESS 02/03 - Mexican Riveria
NCL MAJESTY 03/04 - Western Caribbean
NCL STAR 03/05 - Mexican Riveria
NCL STAR 02/06 - Mexican Riveria
NCL PEARL 02/07 - Southern Caribbean
NCL PEARL 08/07 - Alaska
NCL SPIRIT 03/08 - Western Caribbean
NCL JADE 02/09 - Europe
NCL STAR 09/09 - Coastal Reposition
NCL STAR 03/10 - Mexican Riveria

Old August 20th, 2009, 04:33 AM
5,000+ Club

I don't think any of the NCL ships have a self-service laundry anymore.

We were on the Jewel in October and used the $25/bag laundry service twice, without a problem. We made sure the bag was out of the cabin by 10 in the morning, and the clothes were returned, cleaned and folded, by 6 the next night, both times.

I don't go on vacation to do laundry!

Old August 20th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

We got off the Spirit in the beginning of August and they had a $45.00 laundry special. As much laundry for 1 cabin for the cruise. That was a good deal and we put our clothes in the bag(s) at night and we got our clothes back the next night clean and folded. It was great!!!!! Hopefully they have something like this on your cruise!

***July, 1999 Honeymoon Cruise RCCL***
***June, 2001 RCCL***
***November, 2004 Holland America***
***May, 2005 Sapphire Princess***
***February, 2006 Norwegian Star***
***January, 2007 Norwegian Dawn***
***January, 2008 Norwegian Spirit***
***January, 2009 Norwegian Jewel***
***July, 2009 Norwegian Spirit***
***January, 2010 Norwegian Pearl***
***January, 2011 Norwegian Epic***
***June, 2011 Carnival Glory***
***January, 2012 Norwegian Epic***
***June, 2012 Celebrity Infinity***
***January, 2012 Norwegian Star***

Old August 20th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down

When did they do away with the self service laundry? We were on the Jewel last year - 9 nights - and the laundry room was great. It was close and I used it several times.

Old August 20th, 2009, 01:08 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by calenita View Post
When did they do away with the self service laundry? We were on the Jewel last year - 9 nights - and the laundry room was great. It was close and I used it several times.
Well, I was on in October, 2008, and there was no self-service laundry then.

Old August 20th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would have preferred to do my own laundry actually.. I don't go on holiday to do Laundry either, but when you are away from home for 3 weeks.. 5 people.. and limited clothing allowance, I wouldn't have minded taking the time to do it or even washing in my cabin, in the sink and being able to use a dryer.. especially if I have to pay 2.00 to 4.00usd ever time my child spills something on a shirt or more for pants/jeans etc.. (just call me a tight wade..) and then have to wait a full day to get the items back..

I think the cruise lines need to understand what people want.. on a 7 day cruise, maybe no laundry but anything over 10 days.. yes.. just my opinion.
P&O Arcadia (now the Ocean Village) - 14 night Caribbean Mar/Apr 2001
RCCl - Adventure of the Seas
Carnival Destiny - 5 day - April 2007
NCL Jewel - Baltic 12 night June 2009
HAL Maasdam - New England/Canada July/Aug 2013 - 7 days

Old August 20th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by calenita View Post
The self-serve laundrys were removed from all NCL ships sometime between August and November 2008. The reason stated for the action was a safety issue.

NCL Epic Transatlantic Oct 2014 |NCL Breakaway Nov 2013 |HAL Veendam May 2013 |NCL Sun Nov 2012| NCL Pearl April 2012|NCL Epic Transatlantic Oct 2011 | NCL Dawn May 2011 | NCL Jade Nov 2010 | NCL Jewel May 2010 | NCL Star Panama Nov 2009 | Star Princess May 2009 | NCL Pearl May 2009 | NCL Jewel Oct 2008 | NCL Gem Transatlantic Dec 2007 | NCL Pearl May 2007 | Golden Princess May 2007 | NCL Star May 2007 | NCL Sun Oct 2006 | NCL Jewel Transatlantic Sep 2005 | NCL Dream May 2005 | NCL Crown Nov 2004 | NCL Sky Apr 2004 | NCL Dream Oct 2003 | RCI Enchantment Mar 2003 | NCL Star May 2002 | RCI Radiance May 2001

Old August 20th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

So sometimes the laundry special is $25, othertimes its $45?? Anyone have an idea on when/why the price changes?
$25 seems reasonable, but $45 is a little steep for me. But I don't want to pack 2 weeks worth of clothes. I'd like to factor the cost of laundry into my budget, but the price doesn't seem consistent.
NCL Pearl - 2009
NCL Spirit - 2011

Old August 20th, 2009, 05:20 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAK View Post
So sometimes the laundry special is $25, othertimes its $45?? Anyone have an idea on when/why the price changes?
$25 seems reasonable, but $45 is a little steep for me. But I don't want to pack 2 weeks worth of clothes. I'd like to factor the cost of laundry into my budget, but the price doesn't seem consistent.
I believe the $45 special that was mentioned was for an unlimited amount of laundry, while the $25 special was for all you can stuff in a single bag.

By the way, I've not been on a ship that offered the $45 version.

Old August 20th, 2009, 06:02 PM
5,000+ Club

When we were on the Jewel in October, I did not see any $45 laundry program either. $25 for all-you-can-stuff into a bag (a lot!, if you're careful), or by the piece, was all I saw. And then a $5 ironing special with one of the bags.

Old August 20th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

The $45 was unlimited, not per bag. A great deal that we took advantage of as there were 4 of us in the cabin. I have never been on a cruise with the $45 deal always the $25. per bag. I hope that helped you out!

***July, 1999 Honeymoon Cruise RCCL***
***June, 2001 RCCL***
***November, 2004 Holland America***
***May, 2005 Sapphire Princess***
***February, 2006 Norwegian Star***
***January, 2007 Norwegian Dawn***
***January, 2008 Norwegian Spirit***
***January, 2009 Norwegian Jewel***
***July, 2009 Norwegian Spirit***
***January, 2010 Norwegian Pearl***
***January, 2011 Norwegian Epic***
***June, 2011 Carnival Glory***
***January, 2012 Norwegian Epic***
***June, 2012 Celebrity Infinity***
***January, 2012 Norwegian Star***

Old August 24th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkhair1 View Post
The $45 was unlimited, not per bag. A great deal that we took advantage of as there were 4 of us in the cabin. I have never been on a cruise with the $45 deal always the $25. per bag. I hope that helped you out!

Yes it did, thanks. So it looks like the $25 special is pretty standard, so I'll plan on that. I do see how the $45 can be deal though if you if you have a lot of people or clothes. I'm a minimalist packer myself, so 1 sack will be plenty for the wife and I!

Personally, I was disappointed to discover they did away with the self wash. I was planning to do it myself. But $25 isn't a bad deal to have someone else do it I suppose. After all, I should be at the pool, not in the laundry room when I'm on vacation!
NCL Pearl - 2009
NCL Spirit - 2011

Old October 19th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Can anyone tell me if they offer the $25 special on 7 night cruises? We'll be on the Star next weekend and am trying to limit the amount of clothes we bring. Thanks!
Coral Princess - June 2011 (Alaska)
NCL Epic - September 2010 (Western Caribbean)
NCL Sky - January 2010 (Cayman Islands)
NCL Star - October 2009 (Western Mexico)

Old October 19th, 2009, 10:06 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_Travel View Post
Can anyone tell me if they offer the $25 special on 7 night cruises? We'll be on the Star next weekend and am trying to limit the amount of clothes we bring. Thanks!

I can't speak with certainty about the Star, but NCL has had it on all three 7 days cruises I've taken in the past year, one each on the Dawn, Gem and Majesty, so my guess is it will be available on the Star.

Old October 20th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I was on the Jewel one year ago, and I believe it still had the laundermats. However, the ship was recovering from noro outbreaks on the two previous cruises, and they announced that the self-service laundrys were closed, but....we could have a bag of laundry done compliments of the ship. What a great deal!

Perhaps that had sometihing to do with them permanently closing them?

Old October 20th, 2009, 12:45 AM
5,000+ Club

The reason why NCL closed its self serve laundrys is to avoid a very stiff Coast Guard fine. People overloaded the washers and dryers to save time causing wet floors. People left their laundry unattended to enjoy the cruise, causing others to dump their clothes on the floor who didn't wait. Frankly, for NCL they were more trouble that what they were worth.

Simply put, we have met the enemy and found its us....
October 2004 Norwegian Sea
July 2005 Norwegian Majesty
December 2005 Norwegian Sun
March 2006 Carnival Conquest
December 2006 Norwegian Dream
May 2009 Norwegian Pearl

Old October 20th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

We were on the Jewel TA in April... it was an 11 day cruise.... and they had the $25 laundry special twice.