Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old June 28th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Quarantine/Isolation on ship

I have read a few posts about guests being quarantined or isolated during their cruise?

Does anyone know the particulars?
I can understand the health concerns,
but makes me wonder if a person should be hesitant to cough or sneeze?
Or hesitant to visit the ship doctor?

There was post on another forum about someone who was quarantined because they tested positive for influenza A.
Is influenza A different from just a regular stomach flu?

Just curious,
Are you quarantined in your cabin? or is there a separate quarantine area?
I assume your meals would be delivered, and you are not allowed to visit ports.

Last edited by Look2Sea; June 28th, 2009 at 01:59 PM.

Old June 28th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Influenza A is the flu, not stomach flu, most likely they were concerned about it being the H1N1 (so called swine flu) not stomach problems.

Old June 28th, 2009, 02:18 PM
50,000+ Club

If you show signs of either noro or swine flu, they want you separated from the general population. If you simply sneeze or cough, with no other signs of illness, then you're good to go...everyone sneezes and coughs! It's the highly communicable diseases they worry about.

If you show signs of the 2 "quarantine" sicknesses, you will be confined to your cabin, and meals will be delivered (if you're able to eat!)

Last edited by cb at sea; June 28th, 2009 at 02:19 PM.

Old June 28th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you.

That is a relief that common everyday maladies and aches and pains will be okay to go.

Last edited by Look2Sea; June 28th, 2009 at 02:23 PM.

Old June 28th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Both myself and DH were diagnosed with Noro on the Liberty in January and were confined to our cabin for two days. We had a special menu to order from and it was delivered on paper plates with plastic utensils. Also a big red plastic bag to put the remains of our meal in to. They also checked on us periodically. We were given a written release after the 48 hours and were able to resume our cruise. We were also compensated for the two days in the form of a Future Cruise Credit.

Future cruises

Brilliance of the Seas Repo 10-26-2014
Quantum Caribbean 02-02-2015
Serenade of the Seas Repo 04-11-2015
Brilliance of the Seas Canada/NE 10-18-15
Brilliance of the Seas Repo 10-25-1015

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 28th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
.........We were given a written release after the 48 hours and were able to resume our cruise. We were also compensated for the two days in the form of a Future Cruise Credit.
Well that was not so bad then.

Old June 28th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Forgot to mention that we could watch any of the movies for free and drink as much water or soda from the mini bar free!!!

Future cruises

Old June 28th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Both myself and DH were diagnosed with Noro on the Liberty in January and were confined to our cabin for two days. We had a special menu to order from and it was delivered on paper plates with plastic utensils. Also a big red plastic bag to put the remains of our meal in to. They also checked on us periodically. We were given a written release after the 48 hours and were able to resume our cruise. We were also compensated for the two days in the form of a Future Cruise Credit.
So sorry that you had this problem while on your cruise but at least you got a future cruise credit. I had no idea they even did that. Hopefully when you schedule your next cruise you will have no problems.

2014/09/07 - RCCL Freedom of the Seas - (Eastern Route)
2014/04/06 - RCCL Allure of the Seas - (Western Route)
2014/02/22 - RCCL Serenade of the Seas - (Nassau/Key West)
2013/09/29 - RCCL Freedom of the Seas - (Western Route)
2013/09/23 - RCCL Enchantment of the Sea - (Nassau)
2012/09/09 - RCCL Freedom of the Seas - (Eastern Route)
2011/10/02 - RCCL Freedom of the Seas - (Western Route)
2010/09/05 - RCCL Freedom of the Seas- (Western Route)
2009/09/06 - RCCL Freedom of the Seas - (Eastern Route)
2008/08/30 - RCCL Liberty of the Seas - (Eastern Route)
2007/09/23 - RCCL Mariner of the Seas - (Western Route)
2006/09/03 - RCCL Mariner of the Seas - (Eastern Route)
2004/08/22 - RCCL Mariner of the Seas - (Eastern Route)
2000/10/06 - OLYMPIA Olympic Countess - (Greek Isles)
1995 - PREMIER Majestic - (Cozumel)
1994 - PREMIER Majestic - (Bahamas)
1993 - PREMIER Atlantic - (Port Lacaya)
1992 - PREMIER Oceanic - (Abacos)
1991 - PREMIER - Abacos cruise cancelled due to fire!!!
1990 - PREMIER Oceanic - (Abacos)
1989 - PREMIER Oceanic - (Nassau)
1988 - PREMIER Oceanic - (Nassau) This cruise started it all!

Old June 28th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

moral of the story..

make sure you book a balcony or suite!!

Old June 28th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Our balcony saved our marriage during our isolation--locked DH out there a few times!! Cruise insurance also helped to soften the shock for the charge of the two minute office visit and meds.

Future cruises

Old June 28th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre59 View Post
moral of the story..

You took the words right out of my mouth. We have been on three cruises. All three times we shared a cabin with our kids and the first two were tiny inside cabins. I can't imagine what we would have done with four of us stuck in an inside cabin for 48 hours. Especially with one or more us us sick? With Novo!
We wouldn't all have come out alive, I'm almost sure of that.

"The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock on the door.”

Old June 28th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre59 View Post
moral of the story..

Yea. I couldn't imagine being in an inside cabin. That would be like a jail cell.

Freedom of the Seas - January 10-23, 2016 B2B FAMILY REUNION!!
.....(We change to DIAMOND on the second leg of our cruise!!)
Grand Princess to Hawaii! - March 16, 2013
Voyager of the Seas - January 9, 2011
Voyager of the Seas - January 16, 2011
Explorer of the Seas - Feb 2010
Radiance of the Seas - March 2008

Old June 28th, 2009, 06:41 PM
40,000+ Club

It seems that each cruise we've been on recently, somebody we know has been quarantined......and that was because they visited the ship's doctor.

When one is confined to their quarters (cabin) it is for a 48 hour period. Usually the other person occupying the same cabin will be confined for the first 24 hours and if they show no signs of the illness, they will be free after that period of time is up.

The MDR Head Waiters are made aware of those that are quarantined as well as Guest Relations. SeaPass accounts are flagged if they are used during the quarantine period.

All meals on delivered to the cabin. On some ships, they will put some type of identification on the outside of the cabin door. This happened on our Splendour sailing in 2008.

If people do not want to abide by the quarantine rules, they can be put off at the nearest port. This also happened on our Splendour sailing in 2008.

Pinnacle Club

"Successful People Keep Moving On. They Make Mistakes, But They Don't Quit!"
Conrad Hilton

Old June 28th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisenfever View Post
It seems that each cruise we've been on recently, somebody we know has been quarantined......and that was because they visited the ship's doctor........
They should stop cruising with you

Old June 28th, 2009, 07:55 PM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklez View Post
They should stop cruising with you
Thankfully, they kept their bugs to themselves.

Pinnacle Club

"Successful People Keep Moving On. They Make Mistakes, But They Don't Quit!"
Conrad Hilton

Old June 28th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thankfully, they kept their bugs to themselves.
LOL. If they did not, that would be reason not to cruise with them.

Old June 28th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
It seems that each cruise we've been on recently, somebody we know has been quarantined......and that was because they visited the ship's doctor.
Seems that to be quarantined, one would probably feel very ill, and would not want to be up and about anyway.

What a shame to be ill while on vacation.

Last edited by Look2Sea; June 29th, 2009 at 12:00 AM.

Old June 29th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Since this post interests me, hope you don't mind me "bugging" in. So my take is if you don't visit the ship's doctor, you won't be quarantined? Or are you obliged to let the doc know you might have NOVO????

Cindy
RCL - 9/12/10: Mexican Riviera 7 nights ~ Mariner of the Seas - First B2B ever
RCL - 9/11/11: Eastern Caribbean 7 nights ~ Freedom of the Seas
RCL - 9/18/11: Western Caribbean 7 nights ~ Freedom of the Seas - B2B

RCL - 9/02/12: Norwegian Fjords 5 nights ~ Vision of the Seas
RCL - 9/07/12: Norwegian Fjords 7 nights ~ Vision of the Seas - B2B

Favorite Port of Call: All the swimming pools in Vegas

Old June 29th, 2009, 05:10 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg1phileshipper View Post
Since this post interests me, hope you don't mind me "bugging" in. So my take is if you don't visit the ship's doctor, you won't be quarantined? Or are you obliged to let the doc know you might have NOVO????

Cindy
Ethically, passengers are obliged to visit the ship's doctor if you believe you might have Noro or one of the other major intestinal illnesses or if they believe you might have the flu (H1N1 or otherwise). To not do so and continue to expose other passengers and crew, including the cabin steward who will be attending to several cabins and easily passing along whatever it is they have, is wrong on so many levels. Some people brag about getting Noro or the flu, not seeing the doctor, and continuing to go all over the ship--some even say they don't care if everyone else onboard becomes ill later because "I paid a lot of money; it's my vacation; nothing is going to stop me from doing what I want" and so on. The ultimate in selfishness and "me, me, me" that seems to be in abundance these days.

OTOH, those with serious intestinal symptoms will likely need to see the ship's doctor for treatment regardless. Dehydration is no joke and OTC meds only do so much to stop symptoms. As well, it would be virtually impossible to hide the resulting, um, output and aromas from the cabin steward, who is obligated to report his/her suspicions--and who may end up quarantined too. Other passengers could also mention something to an officer or the passenger services desk.

If there is a reasonable suspicion that you have one of the quarantine illnesses (and Noro, et al are pretty hard to hide, as well as the high fever that almost always goes along with any flu), the captain can order you to go see the ship's doctor or be put off the ship at the next port. The captain is responsible for the health and well being of all onboard and is the absolute "last word" on things like this.

It certainly would be awful to be that ill, especially on vacation, but the cruise lines seem to be dealing with it well overall. The only real issue can be when people overindulge (food or drink) or eat unusual foods (onboard or ashore) that don't agree with them and end up with short-term "yuck." I wouldn't instantly report a single "episode," but if it continued and was obviously not from food, drink, or other external sources, I'd visit the ship's doctor even though I'd know a quarantine would be heading my way. Besides, most people with Noro are so ill that they can do little more than stay in their cabin and be miserable. Might as well be honest about it, get quarantined, protect others, receive specially designed room service, complimentary movies/sodas/bottled water, and often a cruise credit to ease the pain of missing 2 or more days of a cruise.

beachchick

Last edited by beachchick; June 29th, 2009 at 05:13 AM.

Old June 29th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachchick View Post
Ethically, passengers are obliged to visit the ship's doctor if you believe you might have Noro or one of the other major intestinal illnesses or if they believe you might have the flu (H1N1 or otherwise). To not do so and continue to expose other passengers and crew, including the cabin steward who will be attending to several cabins and easily passing along whatever it is they have, is wrong on so many levels. Some people brag about getting Noro or the flu, not seeing the doctor, and continuing to go all over the ship--some even say they don't care if everyone else onboard becomes ill later because "I paid a lot of money; it's my vacation; nothing is going to stop me from doing what I want" and so on. The ultimate in selfishness and "me, me, me" that seems to be in abundance these days.

OTOH, those with serious intestinal symptoms will likely need to see the ship's doctor for treatment regardless. Dehydration is no joke and OTC meds only do so much to stop symptoms. As well, it would be virtually impossible to hide the resulting, um, output and aromas from the cabin steward, who is obligated to report his/her suspicions--and who may end up quarantined too. Other passengers could also mention something to an officer or the passenger services desk.

If there is a reasonable suspicion that you have one of the quarantine illnesses (and Noro, et al are pretty hard to hide, as well as the high fever that almost always goes along with any flu), the captain can order you to go see the ship's doctor or be put off the ship at the next port. The captain is responsible for the health and well being of all onboard and is the absolute "last word" on things like this.

It certainly would be awful to be that ill, especially on vacation, but the cruise lines seem to be dealing with it well overall. The only real issue can be when people overindulge (food or drink) or eat unusual foods (onboard or ashore) that don't agree with them and end up with short-term "yuck." I wouldn't instantly report a single "episode," but if it continued and was obviously not from food, drink, or other external sources, I'd visit the ship's doctor even though I'd know a quarantine would be heading my way. Besides, most people with Noro are so ill that they can do little more than stay in their cabin and be miserable. Might as well be honest about it, get quarantined, protect others, receive specially designed room service, complimentary movies/sodas/bottled water, and often a cruise credit to ease the pain of missing 2 or more days of a cruise.

beachchick
Thanks a lot for that wonderful explanation. So if I come up with fever, I go see the ships doc, simple as that. I think I can remember that. I've got pretty weak intestins, but I know the difference between a one time yuck and/or the flu, noro. Still gonna bring my medication for it though, even if I have to pay the doc a visit. Thanks for explaining it to me. And I agree, even if you paid for a cruise, you have to consider others. I can only imagine at what speed a bug can go from one to another on a cruise ship

Cindy
RCL - 9/12/10: Mexican Riviera 7 nights ~ Mariner of the Seas - First B2B ever
RCL - 9/11/11: Eastern Caribbean 7 nights ~ Freedom of the Seas
RCL - 9/18/11: Western Caribbean 7 nights ~ Freedom of the Seas - B2B

RCL - 9/02/12: Norwegian Fjords 5 nights ~ Vision of the Seas
RCL - 9/07/12: Norwegian Fjords 7 nights ~ Vision of the Seas - B2B

Favorite Port of Call: All the swimming pools in Vegas

Last edited by sg1phileshipper; June 29th, 2009 at 06:56 AM.