Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old June 17th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Luggage Locks?

I should know this but I don't. Can you padlock your luggage or is there a certain type of lock you must use? Any help would be appreciated.

Old June 17th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Check out www.safeskieslocks.com. That is the type we use. They are TSA approved combination locks. Very sturdy.
1- Royal Caribbean
5 - Princess
4 - Carnival,
3 -Celebrity
Loved them all!

Old June 17th, 2009, 10:08 PM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by downrunner View Post
I should know this but I don't. Can you padlock your luggage or is there a certain type of lock you must use? Any help would be appreciated.
If you are flying to the port, then the only lock allowed is a TSA approved lock. If you are driving to the port, then definitely lock your luggage with whatever lock you want. I would never turn over my bags at the port without having them locked up tight, and instead of locks, I usually use zip ties, that way I know for sure if anyone has been in our luggage.

Old June 17th, 2009, 10:08 PM
30,000+ Club

Quote:
For the cruise, you can absolutely lock your luggage. If you are flying, use a TSA-approved lock. You can tell it's a TSA lock if it has a little red "diamond" somewhere on the lock.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Crown Princess -- 10/18/14 BVE
Grand Princess -- LA > HI > LA 2/17/15
OAT African Safari -- 10/5/15
Pacific Princess 50th Anniversary cruise -- 12/3/15

Old June 17th, 2009, 10:12 PM
50,000+ Club

Use any type of lock you want---TSA locks are not needed, and indeed, it's not a "law" that you must use them for flying, either!

You can buy packs of keyed locks, so that you only need one key for every lock. But whatever you use, DO lock your bags!!!!!

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Use any type of lock you want---TSA locks are not needed, and indeed, it's not a "law" that you must use them for flying, either!

You can buy packs of keyed locks, so that you only need one key for every lock. But whatever you use, DO lock your bags!!!!!
It isn't a law, but if you are flying and TSA wants to search your luggage, they can and will cut off non-TSA locks. TSA approved locks can be opened by them with a special device and then reinstalled without harming them.
1- Royal Caribbean
5 - Princess
4 - Carnival,
3 -Celebrity
Loved them all!

Old June 17th, 2009, 10:24 PM
5,000+ Club

And we've had TSA locks bent and broken off, damaging the suitcase. But do lock your suitcase - dd had a bottle of wine stolen from hers because she didn't (probably in the hall the last night).

Last edited by Nancyquilts; June 17th, 2009 at 10:25 PM.

Old June 17th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

We always pack a few of these cable ties in the top pocket of our luggage (along with the extra Princess tags) after our flight to the port.

Old June 17th, 2009, 10:43 PM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psee View Post
We always pack a few of these cable ties in the top pocket of our luggage (along with the extra Princess tags) after our flight to the port.

Zip ties are my friend for cruises. I have them in all the colors of the rainbow.

Old June 17th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I wonder how many people now have the TSA device to unlock TSA approved locks. It is only a matter of time before they can be purchased on the internet probably from a third world country. TSA has issued an alert:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/custome...agedlocks.shtm

There was a video on Utube and mentioned in another posting concerning how easy it was to open a locked luggage with a zipper around the opening. They used a common inkpen, opened and closed the luggage without disturbing the lock or damaging the zipper.

I use the colored cable ties not so much to keep people out but to notice when the suitcase has been entered. Of course I put nothing of value in the checked luggage so unless they are interested in my clothes, they will get nothing of value.

RCCL: Rhapsody, 2003; Voyageur, 2008, 2009; Adventure, 2008; Navigator 2013; Mariner 2010, 2011
Holland America: Veendam, 2006
Princess: Grand 2005, 2006; Ruby 2010; Island 2011, 2013; Emerald 2012, 2015; Golden 2012, 2014, 2015; Crown 2013; Caribbean 2013, 2014, 2015; Royal 2014; Star 2014
Carnival: Elation 2005; Magic 2012, 2015
May 2014 Diving trip to Cozumel
castigat ridendo mores

Old June 17th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwpv4lk_qio

Check this out if you think your TSA locks or anything else is really safe!
Celebrity Silhouette Greek Isles, August, 2014

Old June 18th, 2009, 12:25 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:

For locking your luggage for the loading and unloading on the ship any lock is fine. As others have pointed out for flying in the US you need TSA approved locks or risk getting them cut off. Overseas regulation varies but many countries require locks.

Its a good measure for added protection against tampering or theft but like a locked door does nothing to stop the determined thief.

Regardless do lock your luggage!

Old June 18th, 2009, 12:33 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psee View Post

And how do you cut them off since scissors sharp enough to do this must be in checked baggage?

Old June 18th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Locks

If flying to the UK, can we still use the TSA locks we normally use in the U.S?

Old June 18th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by satxdiver View Post

There was a video on Utube and mentioned in another posting concerning how easy it was to open a locked luggage with a zipper around the opening. They used a common inkpen, opened and closed the luggage without disturbing the lock or damaging the zipper.
I was talking to my husband about TSA locks, and he locked his suitcase, and promptly took a pen and opened it via the zipper.

My plan, for when we go to South American is to put all my electronics and other valuables in my carry on, and either leave my good jewelery at home or wear it until we get on the ship.

--------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Coastal 1/14
Royal Princess Maiden Caribbean 10/13

Sapphire Princess Hawaii 2/12

Ruby Princess Caribbean - 12/10
Coral Princess Coastal - 9/10 9/11
Star Princess Antarctica/South America 2/10
Golden Princess Coastal 9/09 9/12

Star Princess Coastal - 5/09 9/09 9/12
Island Princess Coastal - 5/07 5/08 5/10 5/11 5/13

Dawn Princess Alaska 9/07
Dawn Princess Coastal 9/06
Diamond Princess Coastal 5/06

Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera 10/05

Dawn Princess Panama Canal 10/98

Old June 18th, 2009, 12:51 AM
20,000+ Club

We don't bother to lock our luggage and never have had a problem. I am of a mind that they only keep the honest out...if anyone really wants to break into you luggage they can cut most soft sided luggage with a box cutter. We don't place anything of value in our checked luggage so don't worry about it. However we did have a baggage tag cut off one of our bags once, we suspect by a dockside porter, and were left wondering if we lived closer to the port if our home would have been broken into.

Upcoming Cruises
Western Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 10, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 17, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 24, 2015
British Isles - Royal Princess - August 25, 2015
Hawaiian Islands - Ruby Princess - January 9, 2016

Previous Cruises:
Eastern Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 19, 2014 .. Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014 .. Athens to Venice - Ruby Princess Sept. 15, 2013 .. Rome to Athens - Ruby Princess - Sept. 9, 2013 .. Southern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 16, 2013 .. Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 6, 2013 .. Mediterranean & Adriatic - Grand Princess - Sept. 4, 2012 .. Southern Caribbean - Celebrity Constellation - Jan. 14, 2012 .. Mexican Riviera - HAL Oosterdam - Dec. 24, 2011 .. Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 18, 2011 . . Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - May 14, 2011 . .Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 11, 2011 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan. 16, 2011 .. Western Caribbean - Crown Princess -Jan. 8, 2011 .. Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess - Dec. 4, 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Sept. 4 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Aug. 28, 2010. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 9, 2010 .. Southern Caribbean - Grand Princess - Jan. 15, 2010 .. Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 19, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Coral Princess - May 15, 2009 .. Panama Canal - Coral Princess - Jan 6, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 3, 2008 .. Hawaii - Diamond Princess -Dec.18,2007 .. Alaska - Celebrity Mercury - Aug. 10, 2007 .. Alaska - Canadian National Steamship's - SS Prince George - 13 cruises - May thru Sept, 1963 (crew member)

Old June 18th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribill View Post
And how do you cut them off since scissors sharp enough to do this must be in checked baggage?
Actually, scissors with blades under 4" are okay for carry on bags. I carry them. And when we don't have them, we stick a pen through the cable tie and twist it tight until it breaks the cable tie. Nail clippers work too. Lots of options.

Old June 18th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putterdude View Post
However we did have a baggage tag cut off one of our bags once, we suspect by a dockside porter, and were left wondering if we lived closer to the port if our home would have been broken into.
You shouldn't put your home address on your luggage tags. Use your work address. Consider just listing your cell phone number. Too easy for anyone in the airport to write down your home address.

Old June 18th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Whoops, forgot to mention the nail clippers. Used to carry extra clippers in the bag with the ties but DW always has them in her purse. As lexdevil said, you can use a pen or car keys to break them off if necessary.

Old June 18th, 2009, 09:54 AM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
We put the zip ties on the checked bags between the airport and the pier. We then place a small pair of sissors in the side pocket of the luggage. When we arrive at our stateroom, all we have to do is take out the sissors and cut the ties.