Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old April 17th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default How often are ships late to dock at ports of call?

Just wondering if ships are often late into ports of call. I'd like to book a non-Carnival excursion on my upcoming Sensation cruise. We are scheduled to get into port at 7:00 a.m. in Nassau and I would need to be to the Hilton Hotel by 8:30 to make the shuttle for the trip. This is an expensive all day excursion to the Exuma islands so I'd like to have a pretty good chance of making the shuttle. What do you think my odds are?

Old April 17th, 2006, 08:47 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sigs
Just wondering if ships are often late into ports of call. I'd like to book a non-Carnival excursion on my upcoming Sensation cruise. We are scheduled to get into port at 7:00 a.m. in Nassau and I would need to be to the Hilton Hotel by 8:30 to make the shuttle for the trip. This is an expensive all day excursion to the Exuma islands so I'd like to have a pretty good chance of making the shuttle. What do you think my odds are?
I have never experience a ship coming in late to ports, but it does happen due to the Weather or a engine that has failed and their speed is reduced.
04/09 Carnival Splendor Swine Flu Cruise, 11/08 Carnival Elation, 04/08 Carnival Paradise, 04/08 Carnival Freedom, 11/07 Carnival Elation, 04/07 Carnival Spirit, 09/06 Carnival Pride, 03/06 Carnival Valor, 10/05 Carnival Pride, 02/05 Carnival Spirit, 03/04 Carnival Spirit, 05/02 Carnival Paradise, 03/01 Carnival Triumph, 06/92 Princess Star Princess, 07/90 RCCL Sovereign of the Seas, 07/89 Carnival Holiday, 92 USS Juneau LPD-10, 85 USS Hoel DDG-13, 82 USS Elliot DD-967

Wennfred / Stay classy San Diego

Old April 17th, 2006, 09:02 PM
5,000+ Club

Since Nassua has a dock, it shouldn't be a problem. However, I wouldn't wait around to get in line to get off the ship. I'd be getting in line early.

Old April 17th, 2006, 09:41 PM
10,000+ Club

Nassau is not a long haul (I assume that you are out of Port Canaveral, MIA or FLL) so there should not be a problem with late arrivals, but immigration could slow things down, the port could be blocked, etc.

I would be more concerned with getting back from Exuma in time than I would be getting to the departure on time. That might be something to think about.

Old April 18th, 2006, 06:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

So do I actually have to go through immigration when we dock in Nassau? I don't think I've ever done that in any other port I've docked at. We are staying in Nassau for 24 hours so getting back from Exuma should not be a problem. We are due back around 5 pm and the ship does not leave until 7am the next morning.

Old April 18th, 2006, 08:57 AM
20,000+ Club

I think they are referring to the ship "clearing" (not individually) once you get to port.

We have never been late to a port in the 13 recent cruises, but anything can happen. It looks as though you have allowed enough time to go and come, so you should not have a problem barring any unforeseen circumstances.

As the earlier poster said, I would not lag around but be ready to debark as soon as they allow folks off. Also double check before you get off the ship that the ship's time and island time are the same. I have been to Nassau several times but we have been to so many ports I can't remember if this is one that has a time difference with the ship.

COMPLETES THE FLEET

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
22 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale) ONLY Double Milestone under the age of 21 in the world.....woo hoo!!
Showing the world what a kid with Autism can do!!!
25 year old son... finally DIAMOND (college got in the way). About to "cruise more than all of us under the water" as a. Naval Officer.

Holiday Ship On A Stick with a MARBLE base...

Old April 18th, 2006, 09:12 AM
5,000+ Club

We just got back from a cruise and arrived in most Ports a little early but it takes time for the ship itself to clear ... like the others have said, get in line early don't lag around...also I think that your excursion tour will be patient even though it was not booked thru your cruise...we have booked excursions also not from the ship and they are patient as there will be others that have done the same as you and trust me,, they want your money and they will wait if your running a few minutes behind....

Carnival Paradise 3/30/03
Norwegian Dawn 3/26/06
Norwegian Dawn 2/18/07
Norwegian Gem 2/06/08

[IMG]http://www.***************/ticker/image.php?code=0XT132664eXk1Xs23XNCL Gem Cruise[/IMG]

" What is essential in life is invisible to the eyes, and only seen by the heart"...

Old April 18th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Your chances of being late to a port increases exponentially with the distance required to be covered.

Our Triumph trip to San Juan was about 1 1/2 hours late arriving because of strong headwinds during the 2 days it took to get there.

Before the cruise, I was considering doing one of the "Night Tours of Old San Juan", but they wanted a credit card up front and their refund policy was "too bad, so sad", so I didn't book with them. Turns out to be a good thing.

Old April 18th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

On a couple of our cruises we were late to a port, generally by several hours, when the ship had to take a seriously ill passenger back to hospital in Grand Cayman.

Old April 18th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess it's "at my own risk" but it sounds like I have a good possibility of making the shuttle. I will check with the cruiseline about the time difference and will also make sure to be first in line to get off the ship that day!