Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old February 9th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Explorer of The Seas

Does anyone know if it's still in drydock or is it finished and how does it look? I am booked July 22 2010.
Thanks

Old February 9th, 2010, 02:50 PM
5,000+ Club

Hi Sheryl - the Explorer has been sailing since January 14 I believe. I will be dropping my in-laws off on Sunday.

Old March 7th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default explorer out of control

Just returned from the 2/26 Explorer of the Seas. NOT sure of how much danger we were in or how close we came to capsizing.. RCI is covering up and Stonewalling the release of any details. But we do know the Captain's 4am announcement that stated an unforseen 100 mile per hour wind caused the pilot "to lose control" of the ship causing it to list, causing all the loose items in the cabin to go flying about the cabin, cause enough breakage in the liquor store to force it not to open did not instill any confidence in us. Cruisers on the 6th deck reported their balconies almost touching the water. We suspect the list was greater than the 10 degrees reported. What was wrong with the meteorological and navigational equiptment that the weather conditions were unknown? We heard but could not confirm that Two people were reportedly thrown from the hot tub resulting in a broken knee and a broken toe..

Old March 7th, 2010, 09:01 PM
10,000+ Club

i actually WAS on that cruise.

The ship listed 10 degrees. in a 100 MPH GUST that switched from across the bow to across the stern

NO ONE fell out of ANY hot tub....this happened at 4 AM!

A NUMBER of items were broken, but there were no reports of guest injuries....yes the liquor store remained closed for at least that day....

The AUTO PILOT was knocked out..(there was no "PILOT" on the ship at that time)..the officer on DUTY took the WHEEL and steered the ship back on course....the entire thing lasted MAYBE 1 minute.

Winds can suddenly shift...the ship did what it was supposed to and she can list a heck of a lot farther than 10 degrees...

Incidentally the ship looks fine...the changes are minimal and not really that noticeable....

Cape Liberty Info blog
Meg's YouTube Videos

Cape Liberty Area Hotel Photos

Click ship names below to go to albums!

My Cruise History:
Explorer of the Seas x12, Freedom x 1, Serenade x2, Summit x3, Jewel x1, Adventure, x1, Grandeur x2, Navigator x1, Enchantment, x4, CCL Pride x2, CCL Miracle x1
218 Total Nights At Sea!
illegitmi non carborundum kmt

Last edited by megr1125; March 7th, 2010 at 09:03 PM.

Old March 7th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool explorer 2/26/10

My Husband and I were on the ship Deck 7 yes there was a problem but i think people are making it worse then it was i was awake it was a little scary and my husband slept right thru it and no he wasnt drunk passed out..I know i wasnt able to get out of bed because of the tilt but i sure didnt see any waves at my balcony on deck 7..I think they did a great job in the winds we had I'm ready to go again...

Old March 7th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BODELIGHT View Post
Just returned from the 2/26 Explorer of the Seas. NOT sure of how much danger we were in or how close we came to capsizing.. RCI is covering up and Stonewalling the release of any details. But we do know the Captain's 4am announcement that stated an unforseen 100 mile per hour wind caused the pilot "to lose control" of the ship causing it to list, causing all the loose items in the cabin to go flying about the cabin, cause enough breakage in the liquor store to force it not to open did not instill any confidence in us. Cruisers on the 6th deck reported their balconies almost touching the water. We suspect the list was greater than the 10 degrees reported. What was wrong with the meteorological and navigational equiptment that the weather conditions were unknown? We heard but could not confirm that Two people were reportedly thrown from the hot tub resulting in a broken knee and a broken toe..
LMAO!!! This is actually one of the funniest posts I've seen... CAPSIZING - THROWN FROM THE HOT TUB - AND WAVES ON THE 6TH FLOOR BALCONY?!?!? Guess you're one who believes everything they hear...

Meg and buppies, thanks for the reality check. Meg, I was checking in our your "live" post and was happy for the updates.

Ok - hijack over - like meg said the ship looks fine. It has been sailing for almost a month and a half since dry dock. Noticed a few new treadmills in the gym, some new carpeting and some new furniture in the lounges. Oh, and the new lounges/cushions in the Solarium are nice, too. Enjoy your cruise!
Explorer of the Seas 9/09 - 5 night Bermuda
Explorer of the Seas 2/10 - 12 night Southern
Explorer of the Seas 2/11 - 12 night Southern
Explorer of the Seas 9/11 - Bermuda
Explorer of the Seas 2/12 - Southern

-Elicia

Last edited by houlacruiser; March 7th, 2010 at 09:15 PM.

Old March 7th, 2010, 09:26 PM
5,000+ Club

thank you Megr, buppies and Houla for the hysterical post!

some people shouldnt cruise, lmao!!!!!!!

budlight, errr bodelight came and posted, errr I mean RCI-bashed on our next roll call..6/24/10
bodelight, go away and you have only provided us laughing at you...

5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BODELIGHT View Post
Ok, come on
Balconies almost touching water, LOL.
People falling out of hot tubs, LOL
A RCL cover up?
Stonewalling, LOL
Sensation - Sept 96
Grandeur - Sept 97
Inspiration - Sept 98
Enchantment - Oct 99
Grandeur - Sept 00
Explorer - March 01
Grand - Sept 01...............Review
Victory - Sept 02.............Review
Navigator - March 03.......Review
Adventure - Sept 03........Review
Voyager - Sept 04...........Review
Radiance - Feb 05...........Review
Voyager - Sept 05...........Review
Mariner - Jan 06..............Review
Explorer - Sept 06...........Review
RCL Liberty - Sept 07......Review
Carib Princess - Feb 08....Review
Explorer - Oct 08............Review
Solstice - March 09.........Review
RCL Liberty - Sept 09......Review
Explorer - Jan 10............Review
Oasis - Oct 10................Review
Explorer - Feb 11............Review
Carnival Valor - Sept 11...Review
Carnival Legend - Feb 12..Review
Allure - Sept 12................Review
Carnival Freedom - Feb 13.Review
Carnival Liberty - Sept 13..Review
Independence - Feb 14.....Review - New!
Explorer - Sept 25th...............

10,000+ Club

buppies...good to see someone else who WAS there...

i got up and caught my bottle of champagne before it fell off, but it wasn't TOO bad.....weird, but not bad....

Cape Liberty Info blog
Meg's YouTube Videos

Cape Liberty Area Hotel Photos

Click ship names below to go to albums!

My Cruise History:
Explorer of the Seas x12, Freedom x 1, Serenade x2, Summit x3, Jewel x1, Adventure, x1, Grandeur x2, Navigator x1, Enchantment, x4, CCL Pride x2, CCL Miracle x1
218 Total Nights At Sea!
illegitmi non carborundum kmt

Old March 7th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were also on this cruise. The movement woke me but did not wake my son or husband. I laughed when I heard rumor of the hot tub incident! If it happened I hope it serves as a warning to anyone else planning on doing unsanitary things in the hot tub! (Assuming it was drunken people knocking boots..who else is in there at 4am?)

We were midship on the 9th deck and nothing tipped over or fell down. I am afraid that there are people who will try to capitalize on the situation... Yes, my Ming vase broke in my stateroom!!!

We see it as a good tale to tell! I only wish that we could have stayed on for another ride this sailing!

Old March 7th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

i was also on deck 6 mid ship port side and yes it was everything i could do to try and get to the hallway it definately felt more then 10 degrees when the ship finally started to correct itself i went to the balcony window and water was pooring from the deck and draining from the upper deck 7, people on deck 2 with a porthole said that they were completely under water. When the capt. came on the intercom his voice was visibly shaken. Whatever happen i still believe they did a good job of getting the ship corrected so for that i offer nothing but praise to them but to just shake it off as normal as some peple in this post are saying is crazy. If you were awake during this incident and on the port side of the ship you can not tell me you were not concerned. Several of the waiters were having a hard time getting glassware for the dining room tables they estimated over $20,000 in damages of alcohol and glassware. The capt did an interview and one lady said that she received a head injury and was seen by the ships doctor, that is a fact. I watched the video of test RCI ships go through they test them at 5 degrees and you do not notice much of a lean so i do not think 10 degrees would be that much more. So how do you explain all the broken items on the ship, we certainly did not experience broken items while we were navigating in the 18-24 ft seas coming home. As for the interior of the ship it looks good but the outside needs work the balconies are dry wood no varnish, rust was exposed throughout the underside of the balconies, we had a square foot of fresh paint hanging from the balcony above us, so what they did while the ship was in dry dock, i do not know. The food was excellent in the main dininng rooms for lunch and dinner, the buffet is also good it seems the hotter food is on the starboard rear side of the windjammer restaurant. I hope others will post there experience during this incident i would be curious as to there location on the ship. I do know people in the rear of the ship did not notice a big lean it was mostly people in the center portion i have not talked to anyone in the front.

Old March 8th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

I would die, lol. that's scary. Thank god everyone is ok.

Old March 8th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalar68 View Post
I do know people in the rear of the ship did not notice a big lean it was mostly people in the center portion i have not talked to anyone in the front.
If the ship takes a 10 degree roll to port or starboard you will feel the same amount of roll on deck 6 no matter if you are forward, amidships or aft.

VirginiaZees
AKA Alan and Diana

For 35 years I was a defender of Freedom, now I am enjoying the Freedom I defended.

Sailed
Oasis Of the Seas 12 Apr 14 (7 Night Western Caribbean)
Freedom Of the Seas 24 Nov 13 7( Night Western Caribbean)

Celebrity Solstice 6 May 13 (Pacific Coastal)
Enchantment Of the Seas 28 Jun 12 (Bermuda/Boston/Newport)
Allure Of the Seas 29 Apr 12 (7 Night Eastern)
Liberty Of the Seas Christmas Cruise 2011
Radiance Of the Seas 24 Jun 11 (7 Night Northbound Alaska Cruise)
Oasis Of the Seas 12 Feb 11 (7 Night Eastern Caribbean)
Enchantment Of the Seas 18 Nov 10 (9 Night Bahamas)
Carnival Glory 3 July 10 (5 Night Canada New England)
Serenade Of The Seas 03 April 10 (7 Night Southern Route A)
Serenade Of The Seas 10 April 10 (7 Night Southern Route B)
Jewel Of the Seas Nov 09 (10 Night Caribbean & Panama)
Jewel Of the Seas Jun 09 (12 Night British Isles)
Mariner Of the Seas Apr 09 (7 Night Mexican Riviera & San Francisco)
Liberty Of the Seas Sep 08 (7 Night Western Caribbean)
Radiance Of the Seas Jun 08 (13 Night Alaska Cruise Tour)
Adventure Of The Seas Apr 08 (7 Night Southern Carribean, Aruba route)
Serenade Of The Seas May 07 (PACNORWEST)
Jewel Of The Seas Nov 06 (6 Night Western)
Jewel Of The Seas Apr 06 (8 Night Eastern)
Navigator Of The Seas Apr 05 (7 Night Western)
Adventure Of The Seas Apr 04 (7 Night Southern, Barbados route)

Old March 10th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was on the cruise on explorer 2/26 and the ship did list at 14 degrees not 10 and it took almost 4 minutes to get it back to normal. I was awake the whole time and left my cabin on deck 6 when all the books on my table fell to the ground and the mini bar door opened and slid half way out. I got up went to deck 11 and the were two people in the the hot tubs.
They did not get thrown out but all their clothes were blown over board by the powerful wind gusts that hit the back of the ship. The water in the tubs all emptied and some came in the ship by Portofinos an soaked the rugs there. I talked to an officer in the promanade just after the ship was righted and he was extremely concerned with what transpired. The auto pilot software should have compensated for the wind switch and the balast tanks should also have been controlled by the auto pilot. which did not happen. They have a serious problem with the auto pilot software from where I stand. This all should have been compensated for in the software that controls the ships steering systems.

More serious than you think.